My daughter has asked me to build her an 8x24 saltbox shed for storage as step one and then to add a lean to workshop to back side next year.

I am thinking of using a pole barn approach for this storage shed which will have 3 open bays each about 8 feet wide for mowers, bikes and potting area. No floor just gravel. Poles will be 4x4 cemented in ground. It will be built in CA where snow or frost are non issues I have never built a saltbox and am looking for advice as to how to design roof trusses and possibly a metal roof which is also new to me. Lowes tells me to give them the exact dimensions of roof and they can special order metal roofing pre cut at a very reasonable price.............$2.50 a linear foot 36 inches wide.

I plan on having the front height about 8 feet above ground and the back height about 7 feet above ground............having that height should allow me to build a lean to workshop on skids on backside next year with a minimum of 76" headroom. Planning on T&G 3/4 ply floor on 2x4 joists 12" on center. Double doors on ends of lean to workshop to facilitate cutting long boards.

Any tips or suggestions appreciated.............don't think " lean to" is the proper term but you get the idea?

thanks in advance. I am leaving lakeside cottage near Bangor Maine today, driving to Florida and then flying to CA to play foreman w 3 grandsons on this shed project. This is going to be fun!