Thread: Need Help quick! Acrylic Award Cleaning

Need Help quick! Acrylic Award Cleaning

I have to engrave and deliver an acrylic award before noon today.

I bought the attached award from LaserBits and when I went to pull off the mask to engrave it, it didn't all come off. There is a 4" strip of dried glue on it that I can't get off. I tried water and Goo Gone and neither touched it.

I don't want it to get ruined.....any idea what I can use? I don't have any Novus and I didn't want to try WD-40 or DNA in fear of making it cloudy or causing crazing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh.....and I assume this one should be engraved on the front.....right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Blog Entries
    You should be safe with the WD-40... use it sparingly and wipe it off with just elbow grease rather than any other chemical (though soap and water would be fine). I don't know how tacky that stuff is, but if you have some gorilla Tape around, I would repeatedly apply and peel a strip over the affected areas... that GT is good stuff, and it will tend to peel away junk without leaving any residue of its own (if you don't leave it on for an extended period).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

You can scrape it a little after its soaked with WD-40 or water or whatever. I've found that I can scrape plexi and not leave a scratch or mark, as long as the scraper is softer than plexi and I'm careful. So for example, some white sheet styrene with a straight edge might work as a scraper, or a piece of soft wood like basswood. Test on the bottom first and go easy!

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Steve try soaking it in water for a bit, hopefully since this is acrylic that it's a water soluble adhesive,

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I have some machine cleaner for my embroidery machine

RemoveCleaner Spray
    Cleans adhesive laden surfaces. Such as embroidery hoops, needles, frames, tabletops, quilting frames, stencils, screen printing pallets, etc. Removes sticky stuff like stickers, sticking tape adhesive residue from hard surfaces.
    Remove is a natural product that leaves a pleasant citrus smell when used. It also works exceptionally well as a general purpose spray & wipe cleaner."

I just sprayed it on a piece acrylic and it didn't do any harm - anything you try, just use a piece scrap acrylic and you should be safe

P.S. on the picture it looks to me like it's engraved from the back

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Removing Masking

Old masking on acrylic can be miserable. I've found that a little heat applied gently with a heat gun and the masking peels off like magic!

had that problem two days ago, after failing with goo gone, wd40 i just buffed it out with the high speed buffer and the polished back again
    Custom built PC Water Cooled Intel CoreI7 Gulftown 6Core CPU 3.597GHZ , 24GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 with triple 22" Monitors

*Epilog Mini 45W
    *Epilog Helix 24 60W
    *Epilog FiberMark 20W - Rotary Attachment
    *ULS V460 50W-Dual Head-Rotary Attachment-Vector Cutting Table
    *ULS VLS6.60 60W
    * New Hermes IS400IQ Rotary Engraver
    * New Hermes IS400TM Rotary Engraver
    *Vision 1624 Rotary

Backside

Steve I believe, like Andrea, that this is a backside engraving but could be done either way. Just remember to invert if doing it from the backside... like you don't know that already but if you blew it... didn't want you blaming me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

You can try benziene, meths and thinners.. one should work
    just dont use em after engraving.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Thanks for all the ideas......I'll try them tomorrow.

By the way.......LaserBits really impressed me......they're sending a replacement via overnight mail. Probably still lost the customer since there was a ceremony today to give the award and they WERE NOT happy......but LaserBits did everything that I could have asked for to rectify the situation. That was a great act of excellent customer service.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

If that happened to me, I would probably just apologize for the problem, and give them the award n/c.. At least they will know that you feel their pain, and doing everything you can to make it better. Unless they are total jerks, they will give you a second chance in the future..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Steve

Almost all acrylic should be back engraved. Layout can get a little tricky but it's a more professional look. all too often acrylics come without a gift box. Remember to ask the supplier if they have a box for the item.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

The only substance that's given me any joy (at least with removing backing paper) is kerosene.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Steve

Almost all acrylic should be back engraved. Layout can get a little tricky but it's a more professional look. all too often acrylics come without a gift box. Remember to ask the supplier if they have a box for the item.
    The funny thing is that my decision came down to engraving area......the front of that particular award had almost twice as much room to engrave as the back did. But this "award" was more of an advertisement than anything.......she literally gave me 4 PARAGRAPHS to engrave on this thiing......yes, it said "congrats on completing our two year hairdresser training program"......but then it went on and on with notices to customers about how this hairdresser's prices were going to increase effective immediately due to her advanced training, etc. etc. I'll tell you.....I sure wouldn't have been impressed with it had I received it!

I wasn't going to tell someone with 50 employees that just spent $100 on an "award" that it's not the best place to put notices to customers.....so the bottom line is that my decision to put it on the front was based solely on the fact that I didn't want the fine print to be toooo small for those little old ladies getting their hair done to read.

Steve,

Things like that will happen no matter how well you think you're prepared.

Sometimes on base I get things at the very last minute and don't have time to engrave it (half hour before the ceremony)

What I do in a case like that is give them a non engraved piece and engrave it later that day. This way they at least have a piece to present at a ceremony.

Sometimes if vendor sent the wrong product or I had laser issues (must be the laser 'cos we don't make mistakes) I will engraved a different product (usually nicer if I have one in stock) Then they have something to present at the ceremony. I can engrave the one they selected later after I get a fresh delivery if that's what they prefer.

I find that helps because It really shows I did all I could to make sure that they didn't show up at the event with nothing to present.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!