Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Used Provider of Wholesale Awards in the Industry

Post Most Used Provider of Wholesale Awards in the Industry

Hey guys (and girls!),

I have a favor to ask. I know I haven't posted as much as I should but I am a busy guy. Hope all is well with your businesses, even if you're a competitor of mine.

I am trying to do some market research and even though the creek is a small group....maybe you can still help me out.

The question I need answered is which company is the most used provider wholesale awards and trophies? I know there are many out there and I know of or at least have heard of most. Any help on this would be appreciated. I know there has to be actual data about this somewhere to be found on the web, I just haven't come across it.

I am also trying to compile a list of these wholesalers so if you know some names of companies, that is appreciated too.

Thank you guys (and girls) for your help.
    Owner/Coordinator
    The-Laser's Edge L.L.C.
    In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back.
    We make a living by what we get, and we make a life by what we give.

Blog Entries
    My first reaction to such a question is "Why?"...

If they're popular, they may be flooding the market with commonplace awards, or they may be popular just because they're good at what the do... depends upon your viewpoint. But in the end, does it much matter?

Now listing the ones we know of, that's a different matter...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Ok let me be a bit more clear for everyone. There are countless of us engravers out there that sell engraved awards like plaques, crystals, trophies, and more. What I am trying to find out is where do most of these engravers get there engraveable awards from.....

Do most engravers go through one of the wholesalers listed below:
    JDS
    Discount Trophies
    Barbell
    Airflyte

???? OR
    If you all were to say that a different supplier than the ones I have just listed were where most bought their wholesale awards from.....that would be what I am looking for on this thread. I mean I would love to hear where the creek members get their materials from, opinions on the matter, and of course if someone actually found a consensus done on this and/or other actual information regarding the majority of consumer spending habits......I would be grateful. Thank you to all that respond.
    Owner/Coordinator
    The-Laser's Edge L.L.C.

Tom,

Careful on this thread - it could be considered a advertising of "my favorite company is XYZ"

Now that the Creek was forced to use advertising to support the creek since there are so many "FREELOADERS" out there - any kind of thread that advertises or spotlights a company, will cause less advertising by other companies. Therefore, if anyone puts a good answer down on your thread, it could get removed....

Sent you my info by PM.

Steve
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Steve

I'll take a little issue with that. We do allow recommendations we just don't want anybody self promoting. I have removed a good number of links because I felt they were only there to promote a site but a list of suppliers shouldn't cause a problem.

An Internet search would turn up the desired results, visiting a trade show would do the same or even picking up a couple of trade magazines would provide the information.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Tom,

A bit of market research is good.

I do recommend that you look a bit deeper.

I try to keep my regular vendors to a minimun as it helps
    in inventory control and pricing.

When I took the reigns of this shop many of the same style items were purchased from many different vendors.

It took a bit of research to see location of warehouses, a warehouse within a day normal shipping helps keep inventory down while keeping turnarounds quick.
    The quality and the accuracy of shipments is also important. as well as service after the sale, ie how do they handle it when problems occur?

Another thing to look for is discount & shipping cost policy. I have transfered a fair amount of purchases based on this. This can be done with keeping a back up vendor that has similar items in case the primary vendor can't come through. Keeping your bases covered!

As you can see there are many factors deciding who I purchase from.
    As we all know this is a highly competative field and if I can increase profits by doing a bit of research and developing a plan it's time well spent!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries
    Mike,

I believe Stephen may be referring to the unfortunate event with Frank's sig salute to Epilog quality...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

True...

Very true Martin... I think location of distribution centers, mixed with turnaround and proper pricing are decision factors. I have tried to run searches over the web to find an answer to my question, but I have had no factual data returned to me in the search results. I have been to many trade shows, and have seen the different companies there as exhibitors. If I was to form an educated guess as to which wholesaler is the most commonly used in the industry while having the most distribution facilities, I would immediately think of JDS. I wanted to bounce this off others or find information to confirm this because my judgement call could just be out of my own ignorance. I have worked with JDS before and they are who I am most familiar with so my judgement could be cloudy.

Also, for people to list the names of the different companies who provide these materials is a far stretch from being considered advertising. Most comments will be formed from personal experience, location, and opinion. Then if actual raw data is found...then that would be fact. There are three things that make an advertisment, an advertisement: a message, a direction to take after receiving the message, and a call to action to get them to act now. Simply listing names has none of these three elements. Not sure on the exact rules for the creek, so again, pardon my ignorance if I am mistaken in my opinion. Thank you Stephen for the heads up as well as the PM. I do apreciate your efforts to help. I understand what you meant in the PM. That makes sense.

Thank you to all that responded and I hope to hear more peoples' opinions.
    Last edited by Tom Winters; 08-27-2009 at 12:28 PM.
    Owner/Coordinator
    The-Laser's Edge L.L.C.

Tom,

To answer your question of who I use most frequently is kind of difficult. I try and look for the more unique things, rather than what everyone is using.

Don't get me wrong, I have used JDS for any number of things, but I like to shop around for new and exciting (different from Joe down the street or even the next town) awards to offer customers.
    Epilog 35 watt, Rotary Attachment, Corel X-3

Fortunately or unfortunately , Here in SA we do not have access to those companys and have been forced to manufacture our a lot pf our own awards and this has been the real money spinner..the margins are much much higher than buying , adding on a bit and engraving and selling.
    I am a big trophy shop and also source a lot of my stock from overseas (europe mainly + china) but I can , due to the volume I sell , import stuff in the qty's that the overseas wholesalers want.
    But in looking for a supplier in your locale , then the same criteria that apply to any supplier apply here too , service , delivery , price , warrantee , variety and so on.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Most industries have at least one association that maintains lists on both the retailer and supplier side of the market. For the awards and recognition industry that would be the Awards and Recognition Association. A quick internet search will pull up their contact information. This will be one of many paths that can lead you do a plethora of suppliers such as you are seeking.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

Thank you David

I figured there had to be an association that handled that... but I did not know the name. I will check them out to see what information they have obtained about our industry. Thank you again.
    Owner/Coordinator
    The-Laser's Edge L.L.C.

Tom,

They will not have a ranking of the "best" suppliers, just an online directory of the suppliers. "Best" is so arbitrary and personal.

They do give out a few annual awards to suppliers, but even with that you don't get the big picture.

There are suppliers who excel in the service area as well. I even sacrifice on product quality a slight bit for the convenience of service that one particular supplier offers.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Steve

I'll take a little issue with that. We do allow recommendations we just don't want anybody self promoting. I have removed a good number of links because I felt they were only there to promote a site but a list of suppliers shouldn't cause a problem.

An Internet search would turn up the desired results, visiting a trade show would do the same or even picking up a couple of trade magazines would provide the information.
    Sorry Mike, not meant to offend, just make aware that if enough people started promoting company XYZ and really started getting a bunch of people to concur and add to it, IMHO, that would be a violation. What is the best form of advertisement? Word of mouth. Get a bunch of professionals - as we are - promoting our favorite company in this one thread and the other companies not promoted through favoritism of this thread (if any) that saw it would likely pull their advertisement if the Creek allows this thread to promote a competitor (that was my simple minded understanding of the new TOS on promoting business).

If I'm wrong, I apologize and stand corrected and again it wasn't meant that the Moderators would maliciously remove a threat. Just that we can't as a group selectively promote who we think is the best of the providers.

v/r
    Steve

edit...
    Thinking about it - the way I read your comment, 'a list of suppliers...' not to contradict you, but the huge sticky list that I use to access a lot was taken down for just that reason, wasn't it? I sent Tom my answer direct to him because I felt that telling everyone who the best in my opinion is would have been a violation. Again sorry if I'm pushing the edge and starting controversy.
    Last edited by Stephen Beckham; 08-28-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added last question...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Steve

You will note that the list of engravers was also taken down. In both cases there was more than one reason for discontinuing them. One was the need to attract advertisers rather than self promoters and that is not to say that everybody was there expressly for the purpose of self promotion. Many were added to the list because customers were happy with their services and products and wanted to share that info with forum members.

The maintenance of the lists became an issue. As you know we are a volunteer organization and there just isn't enough time to maintain and police the lists. Because those lists of suppliers and engravers were posted as a reference on SMC one might assume that they were recommended by SMC. That was never the case.

While relevant links are still allowed we are taking a firmer position with respect to posting links than we have done previously. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with posting a relevant web address which isn't a hyperlink.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7