Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood floor for pole barn?

Herbert - I'm kind of curious what a 38,000# drill press looks like.
    Doug

Thank you so much for all the info! This has been very helpful! i will let you know what we decide!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post
    For what it's worth, I also looked at a wood floor, too, but the town nixed it on me. They didn't want a building that can potentially be used as a garage with any flammable materials potentially under vehicles that often leak more flammable materials. Actually makes fair sense.
    As a former code official, I'm amused by this. I certainly don't know what code applies in your jurisdiction but codes typically allow residential accessory buildings to be framed and interior finish of wood. If there is a fire the building is typically destroyed. People need inexpensive buildings and this is seen as an acceptable risk. Why save the floor? Plus, I've seen the results of a horrible room fire with virtually no burn-down on a 3/4" plywood floor which is typical and UL allows a good fire rating for this application.

Re concrete floors, the floor will be as strong as the earth or whatever is supporting it. 3,000 psi easy to say. THAT'S THREE THOUSAND POUNDS OF WEIGHT ON ONE SQUARE INCH to crush it. Less than four inches thick makes it hard to work the rocks down and finish easily. Otherwise the depth doesn't do much residential or light commercial.

As Myk mentioned, you should really consider removing several inches of the existing soil/gravel to get rid the acid that is part of animal urine. It can really do a number on a concrete slab, and the damage will occur from the underside.