Thread: 5HP Grizzly G0605 Table Saw

5HP Grizzly G0605 Table Saw

Is there somebody on the site that has this saw.If so I would like to ask you a few questions.PM me and I will get back to you .
    Thanx,Greg

I'm going to give myself a bump to see onemore time if anybody has a Grizz 12" TS.

i have the 10 in 5HP grizzly....

I would also like to hear about the 12 inch saw.

Greg,
    I don't have that specific saw but I do have the G5959Z, which is a 12"-5 HP saw. I'll be willing to help in any way that I can.

What I'm looking to find out is on a single phase version,what size breaker are you using. It is listed as a 18 amp load but has no motor tag anywhere.I also cannot find a 25 amp SD qo breaker in any of my fine Homecenters. I have a 20 amp circuit from my old saw and I would like to stick with that if startup stays under 20 amps.I work with WEG motors all day at work and they are all over the map when they see any kind of load.Had a 200 volt ,25 hp motor pull almost 520 amps at start up with a deliberate undervoltage of 15% under load. Thanx ahead of time for the info,
    Greg

Brett,
    is your saw single or three phase? If single phase, what size breaker are you running it on?
    Thanx,Greg

Greg,
    Sorry for the delayed response. The G5959Z has a single phase motor and after looking at the G0605, it also has a single phase motor. On the amperage, I believe what is listed on the specifications is the running amperage and does not include the startup amperage, which will be higher. I'm not sure if you already purchased the saw or are considering buying it but it would be worth a call to Grizzly to be certain. For the G5959Z, the instructions explicitly state to use a 220V-30A breaker with corresponding 10 gauge wire and NEMA 6L-30 plug, which is how mine is setup. I'd be surprised if the G0605 did not require the same setup. You shouldn't have trouble finding a 30A Square D breaker, even at the home center, along with the wire and plugs. If I recall, the material cost to do the breaker upgrade with the plugs, wire, breaker, etc. was about $75.

By the way, since the saw doesn't come wired with a plug, be sure to use the 10 gauge wire with the heavy duty black sheathing (not sure if there's a technical name) and not the typical 10 gauge orange (Romex) wire that you run in the walls from the outlet to the breaker. At HD, this wire is on the spools that are priced per foot, which was about $1.25/ft if I recall correctly. With table saws typically being in the middle of a shop, this black sheathed wire will take abuse much better than the electrical wire.

Hope that helps. Any other questions, just ask.
    Last edited by Brett Bobo; 03-21-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Hi Greg. I have a G0605X, 5 hp single phase motor, and operate it on a 30A circuit with 10Ga wire.

In general, 3 hp motors can run on a 20A circuit, and 5 hp motors require a 30A circuit. I've had no issues with tripping the breaker.

Regards,

Scott

Scott and Brett,
    Thanx guys ,installed the saw this weekend and while I tested it with a 20 amp circuit I went ahead and wired it on a 30 amp breaker wired up with 10 gauge wire from the saw to a 2 pole disconnect that can be locked out. It was only 8 feet to the adjacent wall which also has the breaker box on it.The saw works like a champ and man oh man do I like having 4" depth of cut and 5 hp. Scott,I'll see you at the picnic.
    Greg

Scott- please pm about your saw

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Hi Greg. I have a G0605X, 5 hp single phase motor, and operate it on a 30A circuit with 10Ga wire.

In general, 3 hp motors can run on a 20A circuit, and 5 hp motors require a 30A circuit. I've had no issues with tripping the breaker.

Regards,

Scott

Scott- please pm about your grizzly G0605x saw. I am interested in purchasing one and live in NC.
    Thanks Tim

Greg-Did you end up purchasing the 12" Grizzly saw?