Thread: NorthEast Ohio lumber sources

NorthEast Ohio lumber sources

Hi all,

I recently moved from Salt Lake City where I was kind of spoiled with a couple great lumber yards that had great priced and great quality domestic lumber, as well as a great selection of exotic. Suprising for the middle of Utah I think!

I haven't found anything searching online in the NorthEast Ohio area we just moved to. I've checked woodfinder and didn't come up with much.

I'm looking for rough sawn domestics mainly, but would like to find a couple sources for exotics too. I really enjoy heading to the yard and sorting through the lumber to find the right boards, which is why I'd prefer to find a local supplier instead of ordering online.

I know there are a lot of ww'ers here in NE Ohio - where do you get your wood from?

Thanks y'all!

I'm sure someone else can give specifics but there are several just south of you in Amish country. I've just seen them driving around down there. Also I know Charm Lumber in Charm carries a Lot of exotics as well.

Matt,

Hartville Tool/Lumber down South of where you are has a very good selection. They don't have anything online as far as pricing of wood goes, but, hartvilletool.com can give you a map of how to get there. They also have an excellent selection of tools.

Farther South is Keim Lumber - down by Charm/Sugarcreek. Another great selection of tools.

Both of these are a bit of a jog for you - but - plan extra time for each since there's quite a bit to do/see in both areas.

I'm down in the Akron area & buy most all of my wood from Terry Lumber in Pennisula. They have a limited selection & their stock is all S4S. They can special order rough wood for you if you want. Thier prices are so-so and a bit on the high side becuase of it being S4S. The quailty though is top shelf.
    It's worth the trip there though just to browse around their store. It's an old timey hardware store. They are open Saturday until 3:00pm.
    I suggest htting them around lunch time & stop for lunch @ the Winking Lizzard. If you're a beer drinker, the Lizzard has a tremendous selection of world beers.
    Even if you aren't, the food is pretty good and fairly reasonable. - Watch out for Saturday afternoon's when OSU plays. They get real crowded and real roudy.
    Oh yeah....obey the traffic laws in Pennislua. They have a mayor's court there that's infamous in this area.

Craig's list is another decent spot to find rough stock...but...it's Craig's list so make you own judgement as far as what you get.
    There's one guy that posts there every so often that makes runs up from Southern Ohio (Zanesville, IIRC). His prices seem very, very good.

Sadly though, this area (NE Ohio) seems to be a "black hole" of lumber yards you can walk through and hand pick what you want @ outstanding prices.
    If you run across one - by all means let me know!

Oops, yeah, Keim, not Charm.

Hartville will have a new store in the spring too that's ginormous.

call over to metro hardwoods in cleveland 216-651-2345 hes a real nice guy and a pleasure to deal with

That is Keim lumber in Charm. Also Baird brothers lumber in Canfeild

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've stumbled upon most of those searching the interet, but am very glad to hear some of you recommend them too, especially Metro Hardwoods since they're the closest to me so far.

Do the Amish sell any rough sawn lumber? Or does anyone have any connections they could share with me (feel free to PM if you'd like )?

I live in South Western NY where there's a large amish community that's affiliated with the community in Northeast Ohio. I can tell you that the amish sawmills here will cut a log if you bring it to them and they will also sell boards already cut to anyone that wants to buy them. They don't stock a huge quantity though. Usually it's whatever is left over from different jobs so it's hit and miss what you will find available. It's been my experience though that unless you have a place to sticker the wood and wait until it's dry enough to use, you will also need to find someone with a kiln. None of the amish mills around here have a kiln. I occasionally go see a local tree cutter and let him know what I'm looking for and when he cuts a tree of that species, he will give me a call. Then off to the amish mill I go. I do have a local supplier of rough cut domestic hardwoods whose prices are excellent and he has two large kilns. The cost is less than half the cost found online in most cases but I'm 2 hours away from you so it would be a day trip for you if you were interested.