Thread: DJ-20/Byrd Shelix Question

DJ-20/Byrd Shelix Question

In preparation for receiving and installing a Byrd Shelix head in my Delta DJ-20 I removed the stock head this evening. While the outboard bearing (operator side) easily slides out of the bearing cup, the inboard bearing is captured in the bearing cup by means of a retaining ring. As there is no opening in the bearing cup to release the retaining ring, it would seem the only alternative to free the bearing cup for re-use is to pull the pressed-on bearing, cup and retaining ring as a single unit. Right so far? When I ordered the Shelix head from Holbren I was advised that it would arrive with new bearings already pressed on each end. So, my imagination is busy pondering the correct way to locate the inboard bearing cup over the inboard bearing while seating the retaining ring into position. From DJ-20 owners who have already gone down this path, I would certainly appreciate your guidance. Thanks.

John Hollaway

From what I see in the owners manual (http://www.mikestools.com/download/D...ointer-J3C.pdf) it appears that once the pulley is removed the unit should slide off. I do not recommend pressing or pulling against the snap ring. Take a few photos and and put them up. IM me.

I put one on a new 8" Grizzly don't remember all the details but there is a one page document at byrdtool . com - go to Miscellaneous then Tech Corner.

Mike