Thread: Best way to apply BIN?

Best way to apply BIN?

I'm making a built-in that I plan to finish with two coats BIN under howevermanycoatitneeds of em6500. I really don't want the fumes/mess/cleanup of spraying the BIN and plan on manually applying it to the pieces before assembly, then put the carcasses/ffs together (except backs) to spray the 6500. My question is would it be better to roll the parts with a fine cigar roller or use a brush or some other applicator? Any and all advice is welcome.

Any and all advice is welcome
    Yeah - use something else other than B*I*N.

Don't get me wrong, B*I*N is one of the best stain and ordor primer/sealers made, bar none.

As far as a good brush or roll primer where a smooth finish is required, IMHE, it's too much work. It dries so fast a roller leaves stipple marks and heaven forbid you slip up w/a brush and get back into an area that's already setup.
    It does sand real good though, I will give it that.

Is there any particular reason you need to use pigmented shellac as a primer?

I had to check to be sure, but Target says their EM6500 is self priming.

Thanks for the reply. I've read on Target's forum where others have had good luck with the BIN in reducing the number the coats of the 6500. I've only got two quarts and I think that's enough but I'd rather not wait a week for more 6500. I've got the Oil-based 1-2-3 as well as the Bullseye Interior WB primer, but I'm not sure about adhesion of the topcoat. I've also got a few small knots on the backside of shelves(NOT A-1 ply on this project) that I don't want to bleed thru. Will the roller stipples sand out flat? I figured I'd have to sand any primer so as long as they sand flat, no probem. Thanks again.

Yep - the stipple will sand out.
    B*I*N sands real well.
    Don't worry if you sand through it in places trying to get it smooth.
    Just apply another coat and resand.

Since you have some knots, you'll want to seal those with the B*I*N regardless.

In my experience with the WB Zinsser products, they grip well but also show a lot of tool marks.

Can't really comment on the oil based Zinsser. I've only used that once to prime some window glaze.
    I dontt recall it being anything good or bad.

I brushed the primer on a project that I intended to spray on the top coats. Big mistake. It took a lot of sanding to get it flat and, even then, it looked different (and not in a good way) than projects that I had done spraying all layers. Having gone through that frustrating experience, I always spray primer coats now.