Thread: Delta 46-745 Variable Speed Control (VFD) Fault reading

Delta 46-745 Variable Speed Control (VFD) Fault reading

Good Afternoon All,

I went to an auction this morning and picked up a Delta 46-745 1642 lathe. Got for $350, so I think I did alright.

It had minor surface rust on it, so I took care of that and lubed her up for a dry run. Once I put it all back together, I plugged it in and flipped the switch. The VFD had both the "power" and "fault" lights lit. I moved the speed control dial back and forth a number of times. The lights stayed lit and I could hear the normal 'hum' inside the controller; but obviously, there was no rotation of the motor.

I do know that this is a 3Ph 1.5hp motor and often times the VFD is particular about the incoming electricity. I tried a number of different circuits (all 20A breakers) in my shop, but it was all via +/-75' of extension cord because the lathe is in my garage and the shop is in the basement. I dont really have room for the new machine down there yet.

So the big question:
    How can I troubleshoot the VFD "fault" reading? Are there things I can try in order to eliminate other possible causes for it? Could the length of the cord (14ga) cause this?

Thanks for all the help,
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Hey Nick, You probably need a 3 phase converter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Show them how, and you too, will learn
    Sole proprietor, Up North Burls
    Secretary, Rainy River Area Woodworkers
    Journeyman Steamfitter, Local 589

No. The machine is 110V 1ph. within the VFD it converts the 1ph to 3ph powering the motor.
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Nick - I have a Jet 1642 that uses a Delta VFD-S controller. What model of controller is on your lathe? Also, seeing as how the lathe was slightly rusted, have you checked to make sure electrical contacts are clean - at least those you have access to? I am thinking mostly of the ground contact on the input AC power.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Nick - I have a Jet 1642 that uses a Delta VFD-S controller. What model of controller is on your lathe? Also, seeing as how the lathe was slightly rusted, have you checked to make sure electrical contacts are clean - at least those you have access to? I am thinking mostly of the ground contact on the input AC power.
    Steve,
    The "Spec No." is IN0694B02. it is manufactured by Baldor.
    I will pull the cover on the VFD and check the contacts.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Well, in that case the VFD-S manual won't do you any good. Have you checked online using AC motor drives as a search? You might luck into something.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

As an update here. after a lot of research and attempted local repair; I just broke down and bought a new VFD from Wolf Automation. Scott there was VERY helpful and spent a while on the phone with me numerous times running through various scenarios.

I ordered this unit configured for a 2hp motor (motor on the lathe is only 1.5hp):
    http://www.wolfautomation.com/Config...8926&x=87&y=12

I got installed an was able to use the existing Delta on/off switch. Only real change for original is that this VFD uses 220v input vs the original 120v.

Cheers,
    NWB