Thread: Jointer question--6 inch or 8 inch

Question Jointer question--6 inch or 8 inch

I presently own a Delta 6 inch professional jointer model 37-195. I ran across a brand new (still in the box) DJ-20 for a great price (less than $800) although it is 2 years old. My question is--What does the 8 incher give me for the extra money other than the ability to joint a wider board? I know the table is much longer, but I am not sure what other benefits there are. I would probably sell my 6 inch if I buy the DJ20. The DJ20 also takes up a lot more shop space. Is it really that much better?

I heard that it was that much better by reading threads here and elsewhere (do a search), so I bought the Delta DJ-20.

Rudy, for $800 you should be ashamed of yourself for even asking. I paid $850 for mine and it is almost 10 years old! There is no comparison between a dj-20 and any 6" joiner out there. Buy the thing and you will see. What are you waiting for? Go buy it!

It is a very big difference and the quality is superb. It has a huge infeed table and runs very smooth, That is a terrific price.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

In order to flatten boards you need to face joint them. You will find that the 6" machine is just not wide enough most of the time for that purpose. So you are really going to need at least an 8" machine. Furthermore the design of the DJ series of jointers (20,30 and I believe a 42 ) are prefered by many ww's. They use a parallelogram (sp) method of raising and lowering the tables, which some feel is superior to the wedge type most other jointes use. All in all the dj's are really very well made machines and would be a good addition to any shop.

I just took delivery of a Powermatic 8" and am in the process of selling my Jet 6" so let me address the issue from a more general perspective. First off, the 2" of cutterhead will make a big difference. I very rarely use boards over 8" but I use boards between 6" and 8" ALL the time. Second, if I put an 8/4 x 6" x 8' board on the infeed side of my 6" it is going to tip and the thing is just not big or heavy enough to properly support the board while jointing. That is not a problem with the 8". If you're in this for the long haul, it's a no brainer, the 8" will be a much better machine and at that price it's a steal.

Rudy, about the only problem I might see with getting that jointer for that price, is that you may end up in jail for stealing the darn thing! Incredible price for a great machine. As others have said, both, the width of cut and length of in/out feed tables is a tremendous advantage, as long as you have the space for it. Plus, besides the great table adjustment design, it's also got more power, putting less strain on all the components. I say, "Go for it!"
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Rudy, from my limited background, the DJ 20 is THE jointer of choice for many pro WWers. Also 8" is significantly better than 6" and the DJ20 has an extra long bed. At that price, buy it!! If not, let me know and I'll drive up.
    Jerry