Thread: Wooden Real Estate Posts

Wooden Real Estate Posts

Hello,

Can I get some input on the type of wood, primer, and paint that you would use for real estate posts? I was planning on using douglas fir 4x4s since they aren't very expensive, but would there be a problem with them being green? I made a few of them of them a couple of weeks ago and most of them are holding up okay with 2 coats of latex primer and 1 coat of exterior semi-gloss acrylic paint. I have noticed some sap coming out of one of the posts, though.

I may need to make a lot of these posts, as needed, so I have to be able to buy the wood and make them immediately. I don't have the space to buy a lot of 4x4s and let them dry.

Also, would you know of a place that sells eye screws and s-hooks in bulk and wholesale prices?

Thanks,
    John

I always used treated cedar, the more expensive smooth kind without the cuts all over them. Green fir will bleed sap and warp on you. I didn't make them often because there for what I charged, most people could rent them with installation from a place specializing in them. Because of the size and space they take up and low profit I prefer sticking to the signs.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I stopped using wood about 2 years ago. There are many vinyl post systems that are easier to work with, do not rot, can be painted, and will last forever without maintenance.
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press