Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Aprons

Shop Aprons

Anyone got a good recommendation? I'm tall and while I don't want the apron dragging the ground, I would like it to come down to about thigh height.

the idea length of aprons for me are about 8 to 12 inches below my knee

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    the idea length of aprons for me are about 8 to 12 inches below my knee
    That was my first take too. My sister-in-law made an apron (scaled for my old girth) and it was just too long. I'm thinking one a bit close to my knees than to my waste would work. I'm guessing the one from LV is probably the one I want for two reasons, 1) I like the look, and 2) I just placed an order and it's too late to add it <g>.
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 10-25-2011 at 2:59 PM. Reason: typo

I have tried a dozen different aprons over the years. An absolute necessity for me is NO strap around the neck. I don't want the weight hanging from my neck. One of my favorite aprons was from Bridge City Tools. It has nice large pockets, criss cross back straps, and a nylon buckle in the back. I don't think they are made any more.

I have a Fire Hose apron from Duluth Trading. It's well built, but is heavy and hot. I don't use it in the summer.

At work I have a Park Tool SA-3 Deluxe Shop Apron with Header. The upper pockets have snaps at the bottom. When unsnapped, if you lean over nothing will fall out of the pockets. It also has a lower flap that will snap up so the apron is shorter, down it's slightly below my knees. It also has criss cross back straps.

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-SA-3...9568700&sr=8-1

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at that one earlier and noticed it was just below the $25 mark for free shipping. I think it was about he highest rated one on Amazon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Melvin Richards View Post
    I have tried a dozen different aprons over the years. An absolute necessity for me is NO strap around the neck. I don't want the weight hanging from my neck. One of my favorite aprons was from Bridge City Tools. It has nice large pockets, criss cross back straps, and a nylon buckle in the back. I don't think they are made any more.

I have a Fire Hose apron from Duluth Trading. It's well built, but is heavy and hot. I don't use it in the summer.

At work I have a Park Tool SA-3 Deluxe Shop Apron with Header. The upper pockets have snaps at the bottom. When unsnapped, if you lean over nothing will fall out of the pockets. It also has a lower flap that will snap up so the apron is shorter, down it's slightly below my knees. It also has criss cross back straps.

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-SA-3...9568700&sr=8-1

I like the Rockler aprons. Criss cross in the back so they don't hang from my neck and cheap enough to replace when they wear through. Lots of pockets, too, although I have to sew the bottom of the pencil pockets so the pencils can be easily retreived.

I have a Rockler one that i bought last year....overall I like the crisscross feature, the length is great, but the pockets are a pain in the butt. With no flaps, they fill with sawdust and get caught on things. I may just stitch them closed.

Well, crap. I was about to suggest the green canvas one I have from Duluth, but it appears they don't make it any more. Crossover straps in back (nothing on neck), many and good sized pockets, good length... I'll have to start taking better care of it if I can't replace it!

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

I have the Lee Valley apron and love it!

I can also vouch for the Lee Valley Mk. II Canvas Apron. Sturdy, comfortable, well designed. Much better than the leather tool belt that I used to wear. The big pockets on the front of the apron are awesome. The don't get sawdust in them, but are easy to access. I use the small pocket at the top to keep my pencil, small notepad and 6 inch ruler at the ready. Really a great design.
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

The Lee Valley apron looks good and they make very nice tools. I would have a problem with the lack of room for pencils. I carry at least 6 to 8. I'm always setting them down and loosing them. If I carry a whole bunch of them, by the end of the day I still have a pencil or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Anyone got a good recommendation? I'm tall and while I don't want the apron dragging the ground, I would like it to come down to about thigh height.
    Jerome,

I'm 6'4" and use a Lee Valley Mk I. I quite like it and it fits well. I would buy a Mk II after my experience, but my Mk I won't seem to wear out.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Melvin Richards View Post
    The Lee Valley apron looks good and they make very nice tools. I would have a problem with the lack of room for pencils. I carry at least 6 to 8. I'm always setting them down and loosing them. If I carry a whole bunch of them, by the end of the day I still have a pencil or 2.
    I had the same problem with my Lee Valley apron. I just sewed vertical sticthing on the top pocket to make pencil dividers and now I can put eight or ten pencils or markers in the top pocket without them falling out. A shop teacher can never carry too many pencils and pens around. The side pockets are great; they carry a lot (too much) stuff and don't catch sawdust.

I saw a review that recommended that one, and I too couldn't find it on the web site. Funny they ditch the one they get compliments on and keep the one that everyone complains about...

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lane View Post
    Well, crap. I was about to suggest the green canvas one I have from Duluth, but it appears they don't make it any more. Crossover straps in back (nothing on neck), many and good sized pockets, good length... I'll have to start taking better care of it if I can't replace it!

daniel

I also have the LV and don't like it so I altered the straps, cut it in half just above the pockets and sewed the snap end straps back on to make it an around the waist apron only. Everything falls out of the upper pocket anyway, which is oddly slanted, so eliminating it was no loss. I did not like the way it pulled on my neck and did not like the crossing straps which I though were a nuisance.