Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Nifty Shop Tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Troy Kellington, Ralph Lindberg, and I will be doing another live presentation of "Fifty Nifty Shop Tips" at the Seattle AAW Chapter in January, so if anyone has additional ideas to the collection, please post them in the next few weeks. Whenever possible, we credit the contributor.

OK, since you haven't pass along the date to me, what is the date?
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Second Thursday, of course. Jan 12th.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Watch Robo Hippy's youtube videos full of lot's of good tips and advice.

A piece of leather between a jam chuck (or vacuum chuck) and the bowl will keep the jam chuck from marking the bottom of the bowl. I recently threw away an old leather easy chair ... and cut squares out of the leather to cover my jam chucks and vacuum chucks. I'm 70 ... and have enough leather squares now for the rest of my life.

Great idea.

jay

must be a young whipper-snapper, It's the orginal solar clothes dryer. LOL

I'll be doing yet another live presentation of "FIFTY NIFTY SHOP TIPS FOR WOODTURNERS"* at the Olympic Peninsula Woodturners meeting in February. Anyone have any new things to add?

*Actually, it's closer to 150 tips now; this has really grown in the last four years. Various incarnations of this "show" have been presented to about ten groups throughout the West Coast.

Russell Neyman

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

colour code tools with nail varnish

I use nail varnish to colour code tools to power tools eg all of the tools associated with adjusting the height of my planner knifes are colour coded with blue nail varnish
    I find colour coding allen keys very useful

I also apply the same principle to keys eg All of the front door keys to the house for each family member have a red spot on
    This allows simple matching of key to lock and reduces wear on lock by he eliminating errors of trying to open doors with an inappropriate key

External porch keys are marked with white nail varnish which is easier to see in the dark

In some situations to aid memory a spot of varnish on the lock and key allows matching of key to lock

I used the nail varnish tip when working as a manager of a pharmcay store to grade keys

eg All external door keys green nail varnish, all till keys red nail varnish , controlled drug cabinet fluorescent pink nail varnish

Applying this principle is useful if undertaking a staff security search You have a simple visual indicator if staff have in their possession any shop keys

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    colour code tools with nail varnish
    I like that idea. I have some padlocks around the farm that are identical except for the keys.

For tools I use outside I spray paint them fluorescent orange. This is not for identification but to find the hammer or c-clamp on the ground.

JKJ

Any chance that someone is going to assemble these tips for us here?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I've compiled this into a pdf booklet. I'll dig it up and add it in a day or two.

Russell Neyman

I live in Union, Ohio, a few short steps north of Dayton.
    That second bevel tip is priceless!
    I'm just thankful it held.

I live in Union, Ohio, a few short steps north of Dayton.
    This is a great tip! Here's another update: Next time you go to a fast food restaurant, grab a fistful of salt packets. Works as good as sand but dissolves with no residue.
    Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    My very best, all time greatest shop tip is a fantastically simple and cheap solution to an age old problem, namely stuff creeping under clamping pressure as it slips and slides on the thin layer of glue. After years of messing with cauls and extra clamps and a million other cumbersome "solutions", I discovered in a totally serendipitous manner....sand! After the glue is spread, a couple of grains of fine sand dropped here and there in the glue and no more frustrating slipping and sliding and creeping.
    I'm just thankful it held.

Refurbishing a worn morse taper can be a tricky process, especially when it's mounted on your Jacob's chuck. I came up with simple way to clean up one using another in combination with my tailstock and live center. You can see by the first photo that, through the years of service, the old surface had gotten dirty, dinged up and corroded, and came loose too often. I wanted to clean the gripping areas without damaging it further or changing the shape.

Mounting both chucks nose-to-nose with a brass rod clamped securely to both, I put the entire thing onto the lathe and, with it spinning, filed it smooth. This worked like a charm! It now seats into the taper more snugly.

Morse Taper Rehab 1.JPG Morse Taper Rehab 2.JPG Morse Taper Rehab 3.JPG
    By the way, I use a system of color-coding my chucks (scroll and jacobs) so that I can easily locate the correct chuck key, allen wrench, or whatever. The one I just resurfaced is my "white" one, per the photo.

Russell Neyman

Blog Entries
    The spray cans of air used to clean keyboards and computer fans works great for cleaning the dust and debris out of router collets. Many other uses around the workshop without having to set up the compressor and hoses.