Thread: Guitar pickup winder

Guitar pickup winder

Has anyone made a faceplate pickup winder for your lathe? I’m looking for a quick and dirty way to mount, wind, and count the coils.

Is this what you're trying to make? https://www.amazon.com/Mojotone-R3PU...8581891&sr=8-2

If so I can see why.

My son was talking about doing this, but hasn't yet. I think he bought some sort of recording laser tachometer to count windings. Seemed like it would be pretty easy to screw a pickup carrier to a block of wood you could hold in a chuck on the lathe. He may well have discovered it was easier to just let Lindy Fralin do it for him instead ;-)

I’m only doing this with my son so we can learn how pickups work.

I’ve made a wood plate that I will screw the housing to (as you suggest). I got a counter too. Will have to figure out how that works .

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I’m only doing this with my son so we can learn how pickups work.

I’ve made a wood plate that I will screw the housing to (as you suggest). I got a counter too. Will have to figure out how that works .
    There's a really nice science fair project in there (speaking as a one-time judge of such things)-- number of turns, wire gauge, wire material, winding patterns; compare what the oscilloscope sees with what listeners can hear-- I like it!

Blog Entries
    A sewing machine is more apropos. I made one with a drill, an eccentric wheel, and an Add-A-Matic.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Stew-Mac has a much more affordable option that the one linked to above.
    https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...nder-traverse/
    For the price, I'm not sure whether I would bother building my own.
    Plus right now, there is free shipping and 10% off which In my mind, makes it a pretty good price.
    Good luck

It's not hard to build. This part was free. The tail stock centers and holds it just fine.
    I got a magnetic counter for maybe $20 that works just fine. The magnet embeds in the edge of the disc.
    I will show a pic of the completed winding.

Blog Entries
    There is a folk legend I have heard from several knowledgeable builders that tells about certain vintage Telecaster and Stratocaster pickups being traced back to a young lady working for fender who got bored laying down perfect turns and started to wander around a bit. I can not find it documented.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    There is a folk legend I have heard from several knowledgeable builders that tells about certain vintage Telecaster and Stratocaster pickups being traced back to a young lady working for fender who got bored laying down perfect turns and started to wander around a bit. I can not find it documented.
    AKA "Scatter Wound". It became a thing some years back. It's a marketing tool as much as anything. While it does change the electrical characteristics (capacitance) of the pickup, it's not repeatable and the impact on sound is usually subtle and unpredictable. Kind of like the impact of 100 other construction and materials variables. Sometimes not. Vince Gill has an old Tele (the white one) and he raves about the bridge pickup, saying it really rips. and he's probably played 100's of Telecasters. Manufacturers of Humbucking pickups also pair coils with dissimilar windings to impact what frequencies are cancelled out. Gibson Burstbuckers are a good example. From their website:

On the shop floor of the original Gibson plant in Kalamazoo, Michigan, the earliest Gibson "Patent Applied For" humbuckers were wound using imprecise machines, resulting in pickups with varying degrees of output and tone. The BurstBucker™ line of pickups represents Gibson's drive to recapture the magic of the original "Patent Applied For" humbuckers. First introduced in the early 1990s, the Gibson BurstBucker™ — Types 1, 2, and 3 — successfully captured the subtle variations of true, classic humbucker tone with historically "unmatched" bobbin windings and Alnico II magnets. They produce an airy, full tone, and when overdriven they achieve a magical distortion with the slightly enhanced highs that made the originals famous.

So in other words, they made the randomness less random, but captured the magic of the randomness. Sounds like Marketing word salad to me.

Disclaimer: I have a set of Burstbuckers in a '58 Les Paul reissue. The set I have sounds great, much like the PAF pickups of yore that had the "magical randomness".
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I would enjoy seeing what Prashun comes up with. I used my drill rig for choke coils in stereo speaker crossovers. I hope to get back to trying to make a pickup. Chris Kinnmans myths busted page is interesting. His take on scatter is different from what Seymour Duncan says. Most of this is over my head. I would like to get some training.
    Best Regards, Maurice