Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Nifty Shop Tip?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Your Best Nifty Shop Tip?

It's the small things that often make the biggest difference. I've found that the crafty veterans seem to know a little trick here or there that make turning better, safer, faster, or easier. So I'm throwing out a challenge: give us your best "nifty" and when this thread is done, it will make a great starting point for noobs.

What I'm suggesting/requesting here are the simple, everyday practices; things that don't require major investment of time or energy.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 10-27-2011 at 2:04 AM.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Obviously, I've gotta go first:

THE TASK AT HAND: Taking a half-cut tree round and efficiently cutting a round bowl blank, which isn't easy with the irregular bark or burl shape.

THE NIFTY TIP: Take a round piece of masonite or plywood, place it on top of the irregular surface, then sprinkle line string chalk (flour will do) marking the round blank where it falls vertically. If there's any danger of the chalk falling off during the ensuing bandsaw cutting, spray it with whatever finish (or hairspray) to lock it in place.

Russell Neyman

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

And, to keep it rolling, another one:

THE TASK: When sharpening a gouge, how do you avoid the bother of re-aligning the Wolverine (or similar) guide every time?

THE TIP: I mark the 'depth' setting on the gouge shaft with a permanent marker, so re-sharpening is a snap. Just set the guide a hair further down, remarking it as I go.

Russell Neyman

To tell if you are grinding where you Want to grind on your tools, mark the surface to be ground with a felt marker. It won't clog your grinding wheel and makes it easy to see where you are removing material.

GET A BIG COAL SHOVEL!!! As you swirl further down the vortex and do more turning you will need it. I am working on my shop this morning getting ready for a Creeker visit (Paul Merrill). I realize that the mamby-pamby shovel I have is worthless. Hmmmm. My neighbor has a biggin.

A friend once told me that what I ought to do is first order of business when entering my shop in the morning is to take 10 things off the bench and put them away. Of course if you use 20 items during the day.........well you get the idea.
    Last edited by Dick Wilson; 10-27-2011 at 5:30 PM.
    I turn, therefore I am

I went down to the local hardware store and got a dishwasher box. I cut templates for cutting round blanks from 4" up to 16" (the size of my lathe). I use a screw in the center to mount it on the blank then cut. Cheap and easy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I stapled a piece of hook Velcro about 3' long to the front edge of my bench. Sanding pads (assuming of course they are Velcro backed pads) stick nicely in order and in easy reach while I go through the grits.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Locating the correct wrench to tighten allen screws is a pain in the backside, especially when it comes to standard versus metric. I remove them and spray both the screw and the matching allen wrench with a matching paint, which makes is so much easier to find the right size. I don't do this on all my tools; just the set screws on my cutters and jaws.

Russell Neyman

Great idea.

jay

i like this one

THE TASK: Repairing a small flaw or void in a complex grain pattern, like curly maple or a burl.

THE TIP: Use regular crayons in the appropriate colors, mixing and matching as necessary. You can melt the primary color into the void, scrape it flat with a razor blade, then scrape away the secondary color areas as needed, adding other colors of crayon. This surface will accept shellac and some other finishes. The crayon can be melted with a heat gun or open flame.

Russell Neyman

I find that a pencil line on the woolverine bar, gets me dialed right in to where i was and as you said in a hair further than the last turnning. Theres several marks along its length and I can go right to them for the different bowl gouges I use.

This one came from a woodworking magazine, and I've already begun using it in my shop:

In the same way a diode works on a boat to defray any corrosion/rust, wrapping steel objects in aluminum foil will keep them from degrading.

Russell Neyman

Port Orchard, WA, about half a mile from fellow turner Russell Neyman, which isn't far enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    This one came from a woodworking magazine, and I've already begun using it in my shop:

In the same way a diode works on a boat to defray any corrosion/rust, wrapping steel objects in aluminum foil will keep them from degrading.
    Ahhh, ha! I'm going to use this one! I have some seldom-used accessory items that always seem to be a bit rusty when I get around to using them. A ziplock plastic bag and WD-40 works well, too, but for old files and faceplates that are buried in the deepest drawer, I'll go with the aluminum foil.
    Dave Masters
    Segmentarian, Strictly.

Port Orchard, Washington
    Jet 1642 and Just About Every Woodturning Gadget Ever Made.
    "I was born to be retired."

A camphor block placed in a drawer with steel tools will protect them from rust. I have purchased in the past 2X2X1/2 blocks individually wrapped in plastic film. I would slice the film and place the block in the drawer. It would last for months.