Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Nifty Shop Tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    You know those worn out foam sanding mandrels with the hook-and-loop that won't hold onto the sandpaper any more? I haven't had much luck repairing them, so lately I've taken to simply gluing a piece of 60 grit on to it. Comes in pretty handy for grinding off a tenon nub. I'm still annoyed that another $7 mandrel has bitten the dust, but at least I can squeeze one last bit of usefulness out o f my investment.
    if you apply little heat to the Velcro area it will shrivel up and come right off. Carful of getting the hot adhesive on your fingers. Kingspoor sell some great self adhesive Velcro. Cut the desired size and apply. Your back in business with a like new mandrel. I have 20+ home made mandrels all with special shapes to suit what I am sanding.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    One of our club's veteran turners, George Kromka, offeres this one: He applies ordinary glue to the edge of a stack of pre-cut sandpaper, creating a nice, organized "tablet" that won't get spread out on his workbench. He also color-codes the back of the paper so that he instantly recognizes the grit. Both of those tips are quite useful.

kromka shop tip.jpg
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 04-02-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Three of the four of us -- Brad Stave, Ralph Lindberg, and I -- gave an encore showing of the "Nifty Fifty Shop Tips for Woodturners" last night for the South Puget Sound Club and everyont (a crowd of about 75) seemed to enjoy it. A link to the collateral brochure is below.

http://opcaaw.com/Library/50%20nifty.pdf

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Never set the set screws on a chuck. Use machinist thread lube-it has metal powder and fiber strings and a tightened chuck will never wear threads or lock threads or back off.. The plastic washers are a toy.

Keep a handy supply of--band aids, q-tips, artist brushes, plastic coated paper bowls, spray cans of finish and retarder (lacquer users) for screw ups. Always blow off the tops of finish cans before opening and after. Practice saying " yes dear".

If you are going to apply spray finish to a vessel that's still mounted in a chuck, cut the toe end off of a sock and slip it on as a protective sleeve.

Securing CA bottles.

Came up with this one this weekend in a moment of inspiration:

Those bottles of CA glue/finish are quite tipsy, and every one of us has spilled some. Previously, I suggested gluing a piece of wood to the bottle, but what works even better is dropping a couple of Rare Earth magnets into the stuff so that it stays on your lathe while you're coating an object. And if you add a second, larger magnet to the lathe itself, that bottle will really stay put.

I'll post photos of this later.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Came up with this one this weekend in a moment of inspiration:

Those bottles of CA glue/finish are quite tipsy, and every one of us has spilled some. Previously, I suggested gluing a piece of wood to the bottle, but what works even better is dropping a couple of Rare Earth magnets into the stuff so that it stays on your lathe while you're coating an object. And if you add a second, larger magnet to the lathe itself, that bottle will really stay put.

I'll post photos of this later.
    Was just pondering the logistics of this. Great idea, but probably best not to do it on a new bottle, lest it overflow. I will be using this one myself.

I am also in the habit of dropping allen wrenches, screws and the like into shavings and started keeping one of those magnets with the extending handle stuck to the lathe. It is small enough to root around in the shavings, but strong enough to pull out tools and bits.

Here's the CA bottle with two dime-sized Rare Earth Magnets dropped in, stuck (securely) to my lathe tailstock. I gigure this suggestion will save woodturners hundreds of gallons of glue annually, and get me in the doghouse with all those manufacturers who sell tippy bottles. And no, Wes, two of these magnets don't nearly cause an overflow.
    IMG_1317.jpg

Russell Neyman

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

To me it would make more sense to drop a couple of steel washers in the bottle, then put the magnets on the outside. Would save having to retrieve the magnets out of the empty bottle.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Yeah, Tom, but if the magnets are IN the bottle you can put it anywhere that has a steel surface. Besides, fishing the magnets out of a near-empty container can be done with a nail or screwdriver in three seconds.

"Fifty Nifty Shop Tips" link and presentation

Here's an updated version of these tips, edited and collected in a PDF that can be printed out. http://www.opcaaw.com/Library/50%20nifty.pdf

For those of you in the Pacific Northwest, a group of us will be making yet another presentation of "Fifty Nifty Shop Tips" this Thursday at the Olympia Woodturners meeting in Olympia, Washington.

Want to add something? It's a group effort.

Russell Neyman

i like this one

Kromka's hand chuck.JPG
    My fellow woodturner George Kromka threw this neat one into the mix: He busted apart a broken hand drill (every one of us has one of those in our shop) and pulled out the chuck, then mounted it into a turned handle. The resulting "hand chuck" is handy for holding onto a drill bit (for center boring), a chatter tool, an allen wrench, or just about anything. Cheap and clever!

Russell Neyman

Troy Kellington, Ralph Lindberg, and I will be doing another live presentation of "Fifty Nifty Shop Tips" at the Seattle AAW Chapter in January, so if anyone has additional ideas to the collection, please post them in the next few weeks. Whenever possible, we credit the contributor.

Russell Neyman