Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Nifty Shop Tip?

Blog Entries
    When using masking tape to hold pieces together in a vacuum bag, it can be quite hard to remove the tape when the piece comes out.

Solution: fold over about 1" of tape and leave it hanging. Then when you want to remove it, you have a tongue to pull that won't be stuck to the piece.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Those small bowls that just did not look right make great small parts holders around your workbench.
    You can turn your hand held belt sander upside down and mount it in the vise on your workbench. Watch your fingers.

Turn fast, sand slow.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    This is a clarification of something I posted earlier having to do with re-chucking a bowl. The issue arises when you're either (a) turning a bowl around to turn the other end, or (b) a bowl comes loose and needs to be re-mounded. The problem, of course, is that it's very difficult to get it aligned perfectly. Before I continue, let me post this photo for illustrative purposes:

Tight Grained Madrone 3.jpg

The tip is to use two sets of jaws in combination with a cone-shaped free center (which isnt pictured, but I'm certain all of you know what that looks like) to be certain everything is in alignment. This is a rough-turned madrone blank, just being mounted in a four-jaw chuck. After rough turning the tenon, I left it in the large Cole jaws, placing the tenon in place but not tightening it. By moving the free center into the thread hole of the larger jaw, it centers the two quite accurately. Then, I remove the Cole, and begin turning the bowl.

This same technique works when a bowl slips in the jaws and needs to be re-chucked, assuming the lip has been turned and is true. Simply re-grip it, engage the live center, and tighten it. I'm amazed how many turners try to re-mount a bowl freehand.

This photo is part of another thread I will post later, dealing with turning wet madrone.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Yogurt containers make perfect single-shot finishing cups.

I use those very thin coffee-stirring straws to apply CA glue into specific places. Works much better than the pointy applicator that comes on the top of the bottles, they're disposable, and cheap. Heck, the truth is most coffee shops will give you a couple of dozen if you're a regular customer.

Russell Neyman

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    Problem: Knowing the depth of the inside of a bowl or vessel.
    My solution: Mount your 4 jaw chuck on the spindle. Place the end of your tailstock flush with the end of the bed. Rotate the quill as far into the tailstock as it will go. Measure from the ends of the jaws of the chuck to the tip of the quill. That dimension will never change so you can use it to determine how much material is left at the base of your piece. I have a scale on my quill so I rotated the quill until I had an easily remembered dimension from the chuck to the zero reading on my quill.
    That is very helpful.
    Never thought of that.
    Thanks

when working with ca glue, liberally apply paste wax, bee'swax or other waxes to your fingers that will be handling the glue/filler with those fingers, refresh regularly and work the filler/glue into the work. When finished, wipe the wax off. No fingers stuck together, no sanding your fingers to get it off no torn gloves, which allow the glue to get on your fingers. Max

using the formula of one cup of rice, sand or whatever, equals 10 pounds of cremated ashes of a pet poured into a clean white sock will give you an approximate size to make the urn to put the ashes of the pet in. Max

I find that a pencil line on the woolverine bar, gets me dialed right in to where i was and as you said in a hair further than the last turnning. Theres several marks along its length and I can go right to them for the different bowl gouges I use.

Hang a shower curtain to help contain the chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Newton View Post
    Hang a shower curtain to help contain the chips.
    I stole the idea of using a Roman (roll-up) shade from Dave Schweitzer (D-Way tools). That way you just roll them up when you don't need them.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

One tip I actually came up with on my own... Decide what sand-paper grit is the "final" one by watching for changes in the appearance of the wood. If you can see a difference between the last grit and the current grit, keep going until you can't see a difference between the last grit and the current grit.
    On soft woods, this means I might stop at 320, on really hard woods I sometimes go up to 2000 (yup, automotive wet/dry)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Store your cans of finish upside dawn.

Russell Neyman

A cheap and easy nasal irrigator is a kitchen baster. use it like a big nose drop thing. Lie on t
    he bed and fill your face with warm water and expel into a towel. Also keep a supply of small PAPER bowls--handy for mixing epoxy, dyes, sanding sealer for daubing, turquois/glue ect. HF sells an air gun 12" long with an extension--very handy for cleaning out vases and under benches.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 06-19-2012 at 12:12 AM.