Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Nifty Shop Tip?

Port Orchard, WA, about half a mile from fellow turner Russell Neyman, which isn't far enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    This one came from a woodworking magazine, and I've already begun using it in my shop:

In the same way a diode works on a boat to defray any corrosion/rust, wrapping steel objects in aluminum foil will keep them from degrading.
    Ahhh, ha! I'm going to use this one! I have some seldom-used accessory items that always seem to be a bit rusty when I get around to using them. A ziplock plastic bag and WD-40 works well, too, but for old files and faceplates that are buried in the deepest drawer, I'll go with the aluminum foil.
    Dave Masters
    Segmentarian, Strictly.

Port Orchard, Washington
    Jet 1642 and Just About Every Woodturning Gadget Ever Made.
    "I was born to be retired."

Here's my tip,
    try dipping the tip of your screw chuck in some paste wax before you mount the blank, it makes getting the blank back off much easier, used to use candle wax but found paste wax works much better!

Also, most of my sanding is done using 1inch strips of sand paper, it really does save on abrasives and works for around 90 percent of my sanding!

Another tip is at the end of a turning day to prevent corrosion wipe down your lathe bed with an oily rag (I use 3 in 1 oil) over the years I have tried many different sprays both cheap and expensive but have found that a wipe down with an oily rag works best, and cost next to nothing (once the rag is soaked with oil it last months and months!) but remember to wipe it off before you start turning the next time!!!

Also, before I start turning I always rub over my lathe bed with a block of bees wax, makes things nice and smooth!!!

Get the correct tenon size for the jaws everytime. Cut a max/min gauge for each set of jaws DSCF2010 (640x480).jpg

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Finney View Post
    Get the correct tenon size for the jaws everytime. Cut a max/min gauge for each set of jaws DSCF2010 (640x480).jpg
    Both interior dimension and exterior dimension, right?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

When doing a glueblock mount the block on the lathe and square the wood fair with the lathe. Glue is a dripping mess --try this. Spin the lathe(var. sp.) very slowly and apply the thick CA in rings on the glueblock. It will hold boocoo without running everywhere and allows more glue if necessary.

rags / paper towels An empty one gallon paint can cleaned out works perfect for putting in soiled paper towels that might go up in flames including your shop cheap way to possibly save it. cost free. Jerry

' Both interior dimension and exterior dimension, right? '

No! But you could poss make it do that if you wanted to - may need to use metal as the legs maybe thin, I used a scrap of hardboard and went for the simple approach. The photographed gauge is for just exterior ie tenons. Gripper jaws don't do interior and I tend not to use interior.
    The smaller gap is the minimum tenon diameter for those jaws and the larger gap is the maximum tenon diameter. Turn the tenon within the range and it fits the jaws, everytime.

It just saves the effort of remembering the dimensions of each set of jaws - which I can never do.
    Last edited by Brian Finney; 04-23-2013 at 1:09 AM.

Empty one gallon paint can for all your used finishing rags just put them in at the end of what ever phase of the project that you are on could save your shop house from burning down. Jerry

Do you have roaches, mice, kids, cats or other pests---Turn a nice piece of Camphor.

When setting up a glue block attach it with an expanding chuck, tenon in chuck, or single screw and turn the block true. Rotate the block slowly(only) and apply your thick CA in circles on the block face. No dripping and it will hold much more glue than you need.

A local turner, Ron Price, visited my shop today, and came up with this one:

We were cleaning off my bed ways -- no matter how careful we are, they get glue, finish and other junk on them so the banjo and free end are difficult to manipulate. Anyway, I scraped, sanded, steelwooled and waxed my ways, and the tool rest was still hard to move around. So Ron says, don't forget to clean off and lubricate the underside of the ways and banjo! He was right! A bit of CA had gotten on the washer-type fitting, and that was the problem.

Thanks Ron.

Russell Neyman

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Turn fast, sand slow.

There are times when we all need to chuck up something really small, and we simply don't have anything that fills the bill. I was cleaning up a handle on an old awl I found in the basement today, and wanted to take the metal spike portion and mount it so I could sand and spin on some finish. With that in mind, here are two ways to grab onto a small item:

== Most chucks go pretty small with no jaws mounted, and you can place a small object in the wedge-shaped moving carriages.

== A Jacob's chuck, mounted on the power head, can hold onto something as small as a nail. Most people only think of that piece of equipment as something to be mounted in the free end.

Russell Neyman

Dents can often be removed.from wood with a shot of steam or a hot damp rag.

Russell Neyman

Similar to what Tim said about his wolverine, I used to used to scratch marks on my bar but now I have drilled several hole to exactly locate the various often uses positions. I found an allen wrench of that fits the drilled hole works great as a 'pin'.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .