Thread: shipping used machinery

shipping used machinery

Do you think it's adequate to palatize & wrap machinery, or should it be crated? What are you experiences? I can see crating a cabinet saw or something similar, but what about a larger machine, like a big bandsaw, or a widebelt sander?
    Last edited by joe milana; 10-30-2011 at 7:34 PM.

If this machine are to be move with a fork lift, then a pallet will be needed so the machine can be strap down securing it to the pallet and to keep it from moving while the truck are in motion

Any time you ship via common carrier, a crate is a good idea. A bandsaw, I would ship flat and build a cradle and crate. Once you get to the level of widebelt sanders, 12' sliders, moulders, etc. flatbed curtain trailer is the way to go. They strap it down on pickup and don't unstrap it until it gets to the destination. As long as someone is there to make sure that straps go in the right places (where they won't crush anything), then there is not much that can happen in transit.
    JR

Machinery stapped down to a pallet, then covered with shrinkwrap works well. I've received a couple used machines this way with no problems.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I think how you ship depends on the machine. Things like table saws, shapers, and such can just be strapped to a pallet and sent. If it's something that has more delicate parts like a bandsaw, I think I'd want a crate.

I also agree with JR, bigger machines, especially ones that may have delicate parts like edgebanders and sanders, are better suited to specialized shipping.

good luck,
    JeffD

I have had terrible luck with shipping. I try not to buy a used machine so far away that I can not go get it myself. New is different. If there is a problem it can not be considered a preexisting condition and will be taken care of eventually, but used the shipper will claim it was already damaged. I buy basically within a 750 mile circle.

Larry

I'm with you Larry. Most everything I've received has been crated. However, some of the crates have had significant damage, but the machines inside were fine. I've been lucky.

I've shipped and received equipment shipped via common carrier and I would suggest the following:
    1. Good strong pallet
    2. Strap equipment to pallet with steel strapping (do not use plastic)
    3. Nail wood blocks around base of the machine to keep it secure
    4. If there are mounting holes in base of machine instead of #3 above, lag or carriage bolt the machine to the pallet
    5. Use cardboard protectors on all corners prior to applying strapping
    6. Use grease or cosmoline on bare surfaces
    7. Shrink wrap
    8. Tag the "bill of lading" DO NOT STACK!

Some equipment is better to build a crate, however sometimes a crate is a false sense of security. Make sure you use a reputable carrier and make sure whoever loads and unload the equipment has the proper equipment to do so--most damage occurs with moving, loading and unloading.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.