Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: changing shaper bearings

Stephen, I just want a good heavy shaper and don't want to regret under buying. Also, I refuse to buy Chiwannese. Mostly cabinet doors, the occasional entry door, or one-off piece, and some moldings. How could I go wrong with the T130? I also like the larger table size. If I decide it's not the machine for me, it's still marketable.
    I've been to the irsauctions website, but know nothing about it. Lots of fine print, and they wanted my CC# right off the bat, so I turned away. Maybe I should give it a second shot.

Joe, it sounds like you have it well thought out, and I agree, you really could not go wrong with that machine. I gave irs my credit information a long time ago and have not had any problems. I know someone who has bought from them alot, and they are fine. Bidspotter, auctionzip, searchtempest, etc. that's where the great deals are. Even ebay if they have a real auction, which is rare for woodworking equipment. If you want a good deal, it usually wont be from a dealer because they have all of their expences and overhead, and they need to eat.

As far as the Chiwannese go, I don't lump the communist chinese in with the free Tiawanese, but I do agree, the European equipment is much better.

IRS is fine, but keep in mind the % that you pay them and plan to pay too much for a rigger to prep and load it. I've done a couple of transactions with them and it has gone pretty well.
    JR

Good info from the other guys. The T-130's are not as plentiful as the smaller brother, but they are out there, just takes looking. I saw a T-160, (still on my list) sell within the last couple months for under $2k....which is super cheap for these machines. I just didn't have the cash having just rebuilt the Martin. If you do your homework and look around enough you will find something. I was looking for a T-110 when I found the Martin! On the other hand the T-110 would likely be more than enough for your needs. I've been doing a lot more interior passage doors and custom hardwood jambs the last couple years which is why I wanted a bigger machine.

I've bought several machines from/through IRS and they're fine. You just need to read all that fine print, understand how it works BEFORE bidding and if it's not local, know the risk your taking. The prices I paid were scrap metal prices making it a worthwhile gamble.

You will likely need the chainfall if you replace the bearings in one of these machines. I know removing the quill in mine required one. I could carry the quill once it was out, but there was no way I could have pulled it straight up and out without a little help.

Lastly I feel the same way about much of the Asian import stuff. I will say however that I took a look at a 7-1/2 HP Grizzly last week while buying an edgebander, and it looked much better built than the smaller machines I bought from them years ago. For the asking price I'd be very tempted to buy it just to have a 3rd shaper with a long table....if I weren't completely broke

good luck,
    JeffD

If you are considering Chiwan imports take a look at Extrema. I have been looking for a T160 but have not found a deal I have been comfortable with at a price I can afford to pay. Extrema has mostly industrial sized machines and they have a nice looking 7.5 hp back tilt that weighs in at 1370# for $6k new. It has a 10" opening. I hate buying anything from China though........

There is a fellow on here, Paul Stonehouse or something like that that has some of their machines in his commercial shop and has good things to say about them.

I would rather pay 5k for a nice used SCM, but like you its the nagging question of what kind of shape it is really in. There are none in my area for sale ever, so I would have to travel or take a chance on an auction. Times are tight and I can't waste money on mistakes.

Let us know what you find. I have bought from IRS auctions as well and had no problems. Read the fine print. The buyer usually pays a premium which adds to the cost.

Larry

Heres one that I would buy if it was closer......http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCMI-T130-sp...item2a1555f7ee

Larry

Larry, there's a T150 on CL in Wi. that has low usage and priced right. It looks alot like a Grizzly, and if I'm going to go that route, there's a Grizzly 3 hours from me.

I've seen that one on ebay. Seller is a non responder so far, and has no details in the description. I'd like to know at least what spindle, hp, voltage, etc.

I was reading the fine print at the irs website. What exactly is a certificate of insurance(COI)? They say I need one to pick up machinery.
    Last edited by joe milana; 10-31-2011 at 9:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    I was reading the fine print at the irs website. What exactly is a certificate of insurance(COI)? They say I need one to pick up machinery.
    I've called the irsauction people about this, and basically, anything you can move by hand is OK without the insurance. THis includes hand trucks, pallet jacks, rollers, etc. And it's possible to move just about any shaper over a good floor in this way. If I were going to bid, I would call them to clarify this prior to bidding. By the way, the irsauction people were very friendly and professional, as are other auction companies that I have dealt with. The exception is Charleston Auctions of Indiana. Very unprofessional. I bought a large lot of lumber from them, and they gave it to someone else. Most auctions are very careful about setting up lots, but not Charleston Auctions. Then they have the attitude about me wanting the lot that I bought and paid for. There's a lot more to this story, but I can say that for an auction sale, the fall of the hammer is when the sale occurs, except for Charleston Auctions.

When you need power to move something; I think that basically they are telling you to hire the rigger, which is fair enough.

I asked when I bought my Oliver and my $2M General Liability policy was all that they required.

Larry