Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite "odd food combo"?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    watermelon and salt. For some reason they work well together.
    Don't all normal people eat waternmelon that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Don't all normal people eat waternmelon that way?
    Sure they do, but the people here are not normal
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Belinda will vote for this one.........

A sandwich that is a slab of Vidalia onion [in season], minimum 1/2" thick, and slathered with mayo.

RE: Watermelon & salt - absolutely - who DOESN'T do that? And, tomatoes & sugar.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    And, tomatoes & sugar.
    That's like catsup without the vinegar.

I think of (fresh) apples and salt as a normal combination.

Some people think it is peculiar to drink coffee and milkshakes together. I think that is a puritanical prejudice against excessive consumption rather than any objection to the taste. I've met people who claimed they could not drink milkshakes without also drinking water and I recall hearing this condition described in a lecture on nutrition, but I don't remember the details.

I like to put salt and pepper in beer. Of course, I find beer is also good without the salt and pepper.

Most unusual is probably molasses and dumplings. Got the idea from my grandmother. Unhappily, I don't get molasses anymore much less dumplings. For some reason neither are on my diet.

I get hunger pangs for a sandwich made with Miracle Whip and sliced stuffed green olives.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    watermelon and salt. For some reason they work well together.
    If you like that find some Li Hing Mui (dried salty plum - get the powdered version), it takes melon, pineapple, apple, well pretty much all fruit to the divine. I discovered it when living in HI and wow! amazing! A very little goes a long way.

While in college, I had, on more than one occasion, Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Schlitz Malt Liquor. The foolishnish of youth.

Blog Entries
    We have a winner:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    While in college, I had, on more than one occasion, Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Schlitz Malt Liquor. The foolishnish of youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    You mean, breakfast before differential equations class, right?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post
    A potato chip bologna sandwich hits the spot too And it definitely needs to be smooshed
    I had this for lunch every day in 7-8th grade.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Didn't the Three Stooges like Bologna and whipped cream? Never had the guts to try it though!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I'm not proud of this one as it probably has 2000 calories in it, but here goes . . .

I visited my parents Saturday and there is a BBQ place in town that has some outstanding BBQ. One of their best menu items is a stuffed baked potato. I have no idea where they get the potatoes, they are the biggest I've ever seen. I brought home a stuffed potato. So, for Sunday dinner I had half of a stuffed potato which had butter, sour cream, pulled pork, BBQ sauce, and cheese . . . which I topped with chili (made with steak strips, not ground beef) and more cheese.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

So, for Sunday dinner I had half of a stuffed potato which had butter, sour cream, pulled pork, BBQ sauce, and cheese . . . which I topped with chili (made with steak strips, not ground beef) and more cheese
    Shame on you!!!!!!

Lol!
    You live oh so close to my Valhala (Vidalia) & you didn't put onions on the tater too!

We've got a steak house just down the road from us (Texas Roadhouse) that's got a Cowboy cut sirloin - like 16 oz. or something.
    I usually get one of those and a loaded baked potato - cheese, butter, bacon and sour cream.
    I eat the steak and always take the tater home to eat the next day.
    They somehow taste better that way.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 11-02-2011 at 9:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    You live oh so close to my Valhala (Vidalia) & you didn't put onions on the tater too!
    My parents grow Vidalias in their garden. I grew up 30 miles from Vidalia, so on the outskirts of Valhala. I guess I don't think too much about the poor unfortunates as I've always had Vidalias readily at hand. Just go out to the garden, pull one up, wash it, and munch. Have you ever had Vidalia onion casserole? If not, I'll give you the recipe.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra