Thread: Maple Bowl

Maple Bowl

This silver maple bowl is the largest bowl (13 inches) that I have turned. It is about 4 inches deep. The rim is textured following a method of using an engraver I learned from Molly Winton. The rim was then painted with black gesso and finshed with General Finishes WTF. The finish was a bit too shiny for me so I knocked it down with some steel wool. Turning something this big forced me to make a new donut chuck in order to finish the bottom.

I should have mentioned that this wood was courtesy of Creeker Doug Swanson who gave it to me over 2 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg Just; 10-29-2011 at 8:03 AM. Reason: added info

2. Very nice form, and I like the bottom..........nice rim treatment.........makes for a bowl with eye appeal.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Greg that is a nice looking bowl. That wood turners finish turned out pretty nice. I ordered a quart of it and will just fill my 8 oz bottle.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well done, Greg! I like the textured/black rim. Do you ever just use a jam chuck to finish the bottom? I rarely use a donut chuck anymore - especially with a vacuum setup or using jam chucking.

Greg,

I love that foot! Great use of color for the contrast. Turns an otherwise stark bowl into an eye-catcher.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Well done, Greg! I like the textured/black rim. Do you ever just use a jam chuck to finish the bottom? I rarely use a donut chuck anymore - especially with a vacuum setup or using jam chucking.
    John:

I had an accident a couple of years ago turning the other half of this same log and cut my thumb requiring a trip to the ER. I didn't want a repeat that's why I went with the donut. A vacuum chuck is on my wish list and hope to add that to my collection of tools next year. I don't turn a lot of bowls and rarely are they this big.
    Last edited by Greg Just; 10-29-2011 at 8:04 AM. Reason: typo

Greg, very nice, love the form and the edge

Great looking bowl, Greg! I really like the edge treatment and the foot....

Do you want any more of that maple? I still have some left!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Greg - that is a real nice bowl! I like the color contrast, the defined rim and the classic form! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Greg, I really like the bowl. The wood has more character than I thought it would.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Simple, elegant, beautiful. What else could you ask of it?
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum