Thread: Need Solid Exterior Door Plan

Need Solid Exterior Door Plan

Hi,
    I'm wanting to build a solid exterior door. I plan on carving it or laminating wood pieces to it in the pattern of a tree.
    My thinking is to build it out of 2x6 t&g decking. I've never built an exterior door before and was hoping someone here could give me some pointers. I have access to Amish sawmills and could get the 2x6 lumber in any local species (TN). All replies, plans and help greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Wade

Has anyone here ever built solid wood doors? Please give me some advice. Thanks!

Hi Wade,

I don't think I would build an exterior door out of decking material. I am no expert by any means. On an exterior door, or any door for that matter, you want a wood that is stable. Will the door be exposed to the elements, sun, rain, etc? I do not like to use solid lumber for sties and rails. I like to laminate the stiles and rails to make them more stable. Are you planning to carve the panels? If you have any questions, please ask.

If you go to the projects section, and do a search on, "Interior door build", and go to page 7, I built an interior door. Maybe it will give you a few ideas.

Sam

Thanks very much, Sam, I'll go there and look. Yes, I plan to carve the panels.

Have you noticed how much trouble door makers have gone to in the last couple hundred years with all those stiles, rails, mortises, tenons and panels? You are about to find out why.

Blog Entries
    I have a raised panel door under way now. I am making it from vertical grain fir. I considered quarter sawn white oak and mahogany as well.

The oak door would have exceeded 150 pounds in weight.

Norm has a good video for an entrance door.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Hi Wade,

I do not like to use solid lumber for sties and rails. I like to laminate the stiles and rails to make them more stable.

If you go to the projects section, and do a search on, "Interior door build", and go to page 7, I built an interior door. Maybe it will give you a few ideas.

Sam
    If you do use solid wood, it should be vertical grain or quarter sawn. Some suppliers are putting rift cut and quarter sawn together. I would insist on quarter sawn.

Wade,

I sent you a PM.

Harry