Thread: Small format printer for vinyl

Small format printer for vinyl

I am looking for a smaller format printer for printing mostly to vinyl.
    Something that inks are fairly durable for shirts and indoor signage.
    It's been years since I researched printers so any help is appreciated!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I don't know what's needed for t-shirts, but I'd be seriously looking at a HP latex printer if I were looking for a printer. The large format ones came out not too long ago and the MSRP was about $25,000. You can now buy them for about $13,000 a year later, brand new.

The technology is excellent and their are no solvent based inks. They make a smaller version of it, but I've not seen the pricing on those in a while, but it would be worth looking into. I'd guess you can get something in the $7000 range.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I own an HP Latex. Where can you find one for $13,000 because I will buy another one?

Also you cannot print T-shirt material on an HP. The heat is too high and it will not work. You need a Solvent printer, but still there are many issues when printing T-shirt material. The t-shirt market is very low margins so I would research your area on shirt prices before diving into that area.

For signage the HP is amazing. Best color I have ever seen in many years of printing. You have to spend time testing and getting used to the machine it is more difficult to run then a solvent.
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press

Doug, they are going for $13,500 all day long all over the place right now. Call Advantage. If they won't do it, let me know, and I'll get you another name or two. I've even seen people giving them away to people that do higher volumes so they can get the ink/media business from them.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Saw 5 of those latex printers that were demo's going for $11K, or $12K with a 1 year warranty on another forum.

Thanks all,

Doug I really am not looking to get into the T shirt market per say. I do have events that happen on base that I
    could make 10-25 at a time, basically a quick turn to provide the service. Most what I anticipate are polos with
    a logo on the pocket.

I'm still getting used to my cutter and haven't had a chance to try the optical part yet. I probably should try a T shirt forum.
    I have purused one but haven't tossed it out. I'm looking at under $1000. Some I have seen some are using older Epsons with Dura Brite inks.
    I was hoping for a newer version printer. Havent been real happy with Epson products so I was hoping that HP or Canon had something
    with a pigment ink or a bit durable one. I can sell some smaller static cling products or temporary floor vinyl too. This opens a door to a new line
    of opportunities.

I'm sure something out there fits my basic needs , but the printer companies make entirley too many models. I wish that one would made
    a product with 3 or 4 color ink set that was reasonably durable (the actual printer) forget all the bells and whistles, just a printer. There is way too much
    crappy product in the lower end market.

We'll keep digging!
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    of distruction/distraction!

I found some opaque heat transfer vinyl that I will use for shirts and such that is cuttable wks with pigment inks
    and is fairly durable (shirts and indoor use) I have some samples ordered. Today I ordered variety of vinyls that
    will work with pigment inks. Static cling, sign material, decals etc there is a fair amount out there mostly sheet
    stock but that's fine for my initial uses. I don't plan on getting into the shirt business, just for promotion and inhouse
    use. The staic cling will be great for some businesses on base as well as decal material.

I ordered an Epson Work Force 1100 yesterday, B&H photo has it on sale for $106 free shipping. it will print to 13"
    wide which is more than I need right now. The price was right and will give me a chance to experiement a bit. The
    future may hold a solvent/eco solvent printer depends upon work that I can get with it. This will be fine for now.
    I'll update with successes/failures.

Let the games begin!
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,