Thread: Blades for Hegner Multimax 22-V

Blades for Hegner Multimax 22-V

Recently found a Hegner Multimax 22-V scroll saw for my wife to replace the crappy Craftsman scroll saw that was had an almost impossible blade changing procedure.

Can anyone suggest a good brand of blades and assorted types and sizes that I can get for her? Comparing the broken blade that was with the Hegner with the Craftsman bladed I currently have, looks like I would have to do away witheh pins to use them and i suspect they are pretty poor blades and no worth the trouble. I'm guessing if I knew what blades she would commonly need and a good brand, then I could stock up on a couple of dozen of each type.

Thank in advance!

Congratulations on the Hegner purchase. I've heard that's a good saw.

The answer to your question depends on what you're going to do with the scroll saw. That is, what kind and thickness of wood you're going to cut, and what kind of projects you're going to use the saw for.

Just guessing, you probably want pin-less blades because the ones with pins aren't used very much. The blades tend to break fairly quickly so if you're going to do much work, you probably want to order a gross of blades and not just a couple of dozen.

I've bought some from Sloan's woodshop, and people recommend mikesworkshop. I use very small blades (2/0) and a gross is about $25. Larger blades will be a bit more.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Pinned blades are generally considered inferior. All the better scrollsaws use the straight blades. I recommend Olson or flying Dutchman brand. Lots of sources for Olson. I keep about a dozen blades of a dozen different types. I highly recommend Seyco for scroll saw supplies. They have a website just prefix www and append . Com.
    Last edited by Bill ThompsonNM; 11-05-2011 at 11:16 AM.

I found the Flying Dutchman blades at Mikes last night. Looks like there are about 5 or 6 different product lines each with a whole range of blades. Looks like there are good prices by the gross and you can mix and match to make up the gross. I know my wife bought a stack of small plywood blanks in a scroll saw pack, so I'm guessing most of her cutting will be in that medium. I read a recommendation some place to call Mike and talk about what you need, so I may just try that...

Yes call and talk to Mike. He helped me decide on which blades to buy and even sent me some free samples. I have two Hagner saws myself.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Grrr, for some reason the network at work detects mikes as a social networking site and blocks it. Anyone have his phone number handy? Worse case I'll try to remember to look it up tonight from home and email it to myself at work...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Grrr, for some reason the network at work detects mikes as a social networking site and blocks it. Anyone have his phone number handy? Worse case I'll try to remember to look it up tonight from home and email it to myself at work...
    Think I found it, 605.582.6732