Thread: first 2012 carving

first 2012 carving

Just finished this and it is another experiment in my new approach to finishing. After years of using stains and approaching finishing in a tried and true manner I decided to change my entire approach. I have switched from lacquer to shellac and from stains to artist oil paints. I wanted a natural and organic look and am using an earth palette of colors based on the Old Masters paintings.

This piece has three different colors and types of stain sprayed on the background and then sealed with shellac. The reeds were carved and then textured with a diamond burr. A watercolor wash of ochre was applied with the water raising the grain to create the texture. The mouse was base coated with a light sienna followed by several oil based glazes of sienna, umber and black. There was some buffing done between glazes to keep the highlights. A final coat of neutral wax tinted with artist oil was applied and then lightly buffed.

Hope all enjoy it and as usual all comments and critiques are welcomed.

Mark
    stromcarver.com
    Field mouse1.jpgfield mouse detail.jpg

Mark

VERY nice. It would never be allowed in my house though--wouldn't be able to get LOML off kitchen island!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Great Carving Mark.
    HAVE A NICE DAY AND GOD BLESS YOU.
    JOHN L.W. BLAIR,SR.