Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canary

Canary

I got this out of the remaining pieces of John Keeton's box elder burl. The "bell" is a survivor from the first attempt. It got quite a bit shorter after I took off the splutzy bit at the bottom after which, it was grafted to the "bulb". There was also quite a bit of splutz in the "bulb" portion which I dug out leaving some voids that were filled (look away Dr. Keller!). I did not really like how the filled areas looked with a natural finish so out came the dyes. Got a bit carried away but it was "just for fun" so I figured what the heck. Feel free to have at it!

canery_1.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

Wow that is great the best yet
    Wally

Blog Entries
    Wow, what gorgeous color (or maybe I think that because it's so bright)... curious to see what it would look like against a really dark background, maybe it would mute the brightness a tad. I really like the little splotch of color in the stem sandwiched between two dark portions, something I wouldn't likely think to add.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

4. I see the base is a bit different on this one.......good to mix up things from time to time..............btw, any word yet on how the SOFA event is going?

I still would love to see all your amphora pieces in a collection together...........it would show the nuances and the progression of your work, which is truly nice............David, you own this form! Not because someone else could not do it, but because you have worked it to a point that it is easily recognizable as your work............signature stuff!

I like the coloring..............not sure about all that "splutzy" stuff, but I will take your word on it!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

David, you just keep topping you last. I really like the colors.

Seriously,Are these piling up around the house now or do you have standing orders?
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Wow!!! Holy Kodachrome Color Batman!!! It would appear that you have mastered the sunburst! It's truly amazing David, super spectacular!!! I must stop now I'm going to exceed my allotment of exclamation points!!!!

I forgot STUNNING as well
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

You warned me, but I looked anyway... Nicely done, sir! You know, if you ever let the voids live, you'd have an opportunity to use a contrasting color or metal leaf on the interior.

Wow! Very cool! It looks likes it's glowing! Great job on the dye and the form (just like all of your others) looks wonderful!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Definitely a "signature" piece, David. What's the dimensions? A truly well done piece of art, WOW!!!

David no doubt about the signature of your pieces. Beautiful piece. They just keep getting better.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have to say ditto to Rick M's comments...............Holy Kodachrome, Batman............this is INCREDIBLE..............what color and luminescence

Unreal! Colors and turning! Great work as usual David!

Thanx fer the comments.

"...the base is a bit different..."

The base was made from the last useable bit of the burl and it was not thick enough to make a sweet ogee shape. I thought about making the base with a smooth sweep from the stem onto a large cove like I've done on some of them but I wanted to color the base to match the form and I did not have anything even remotely similar to make the stem from.

"...any word yet on how the SOFA event is going..."

Only that my stuff got there intact and is on display. One of the guys from the gallery got a pic and sent it home but i have not seen it yet.

"...are these piling up around the house..."

Sort of. Five of them are at del Mano but they will probably not "do anything with them" until they get back from Chicago. Several are at SOFA and with any luck I will never see them again!

"...What's the dimensions? ..."

16" Tall 3" at the rim

"...use a contrasting color or metal leaf on the interior..."

Don't tempt me... Can't imagine (yet) how I would get in there...
    David DeCristoforo

my eyes..get me sunglasses, quick! the sun is exploding! :-) WOW this is terrific. i adore color so this is right up my alley!