Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leading cause of spilled gasoline

Leading cause of spilled gasoline

10 years ago, it was the couple of drops that sometimes spilled when I removed the filler from my car's tank. Today, the leading cause for me is EASILY the new anti-spill gas cans. Between the awkward positions it requires and the malfunctions where the sliding part gets stuck, I easily spill far mire today than I ever had. More importantly, I spill at more dangerous times, i.e. when refueling. Finally, it takes MUCH longer to fill anything than it ever did in the past. Am I the only one that sees these monstrosities as a complete failure right across the board??I need to find some old fashioned gas cans. These things are just not safe.

Can't tell from your post which type of can you have. However, it probably makes no difference as every one of them have devices that confound and irritate me. I finally bit the bullet and bought two 5 gal."Jerry" cans that had some sort of contraption that was supposed to be anti spill and anti fume. I trashed them and replaced them with screw in flexible nozzles.
    works for me.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I just take the whole top off and use a funnel. The little 1/4" hole they give you to let the gas drizzle out of the can is ridiculous.

You're Not Alone

I'm on my 3rd can. The nozzles keep refusing to open up. One more effort to make things so idiot-proof that only an idiot would try to use it.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

That's funny, i just had the same thought tonight, as I spilled a bunch of gas. Before these cans, we had (when I was a kid) the old bent spout type with an airhole on the back. It would pour clean and constant and I never spilled anything out of it. If I got a couple of drops outside the lid on the riding mower's tank, I felt that was a failed mission.

Now, I live on a lot less land and buy a 5 gallon can a year (used to use that much every two weeks). But I either have to pour it into a smaller can or directly into the push mower, and each time I use the stupid thing in the mower, it catches on the bottom of the tank when I go to pull it out and the stuff splashes out everywhere. The small can doesn't have enough weight to use it, it can't open the mechanism and just slides across the floor.

If it isn't broken....

I'm feeding 10 gallons into my borrowed generator every day. I swear I've spilt at least a gallon over the generator so far. Thank God I haven't hit the muffler yet. The funnel idea makes a lot of sense. I think I will start doing that. Doing it the right way is just way too dangerous!

John,
    Are you still without power? I live near Hudson NY. Alot of people were out for a few days after last week's snow.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure someone thinks they are far safer. Probably the same guy that recommended that you carry no more than one 5 gallon can in your vehicle at a time. Like it makes a difference if you ignite 5 or 20 gallons in your car, you are still a crispy critter. And how much greater are your chances of getting rear ended catastrophically if you have to make 4 trips instead of 1 to get that 20 gallons to fill your toys? Sorry to digress...

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'm feeding 10 gallons into my borrowed generator every day. I swear I've spilt at least a gallon over the generator so far. Thank God I haven't hit the muffler yet. The funnel idea makes a lot of sense. I think I will start doing that. Doing it the right way is just way too dangerous!
    I know how you feel. I just got my power back 41 minutes ago. 7 days and 2 hours without grid power. 1 day without any power.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Loucks View Post
    John,Are you still without power? I live near Hudson NY. Alot of people were out for a few days after last week's snow.
    Yes. The lines to my house are live but tangled up in trees. I can't turn on my mains because I go from brownout to surges, no doubt because the connection is bad somewhere and arcing. It took out two surge protectors, some electronic gear, and a bunch of light bulbs. The line is literally tied to a tree with twine (to get it out of the road) and resting precariously on a small bent over tree. The tree bent during the storm, and then the line fell on top. Now the tree and line are in an uneasy equibrium. If the tree falls or breaks the line will be in my yard. I've called a number of times to complain about the dangerous situation with no response. I've asked that they at least come disconnect me before this thing us back in the street, live this time, but CL&P is too concerned with their restoration numbers to bother with safety. If thus thing falls and hurts someone, I think there will be hell to pay as I've been making them aware if the situation from day one and they knowingly energized damaged lines. I think there will be hell to pay regardless, actually. The whole situation with CL&P's territory is reminiscent of living in a third world country.

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs. For some reason all of my formatting disappears when I post from my iPhone.

Btw, over a week later we still have 155,000+ customers out.

I feel for you, having been in the same situation several times over the years. Just stay safe until the power is back, then let er rip!

+1 on hating the new gas cans. The one I'm currently using is the previous generation - just "self venting". It is bad enough. The newer ones with those plastic and spring loaded widgets are a nightmare!

My sympathy on your power problems. We went through much the same after Irene a while back. Our power company actually did phenomenally well - phone company (and thus internet) was another story.

The good (?) news is that I have actually been promised a DSL line in the near future! I signed a contract wherein they guaranteed broadband within 90 days, or I would start getting free months for every month beyond that 90 days they were tardy. It has been 8 years now in dial-up hell, and I will believe it when I see it......plus their DSL service has been less than excellent, according to various internet posts. It is my only option for at least another year, though, until the little local phone company comes out with a new wireless option. I've watched a whole generation of internet technology go right on by - I'm so far behind the eight ball that I wonder if I'll ever catch up!

You guys need to lobby for underground utilities. I heard some electrical commentator say that your part of the country has a third world electrical distribution network, especially considering the weather you routinely have. I'd think it would be worth paying a bit more in taxes (or electricity cost) to get reliable service.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.