Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leading cause of spilled gasoline

CT already pays one of the highest rates in the country for our third world electrical system. I really don't need to pay more in electrical costs and my taxes are high enough thank you.

It is also cost prohibitive. It is pretty rocky terrain throughout much of this area and Ct. I was without power for 6 days. I was lucky enough to find a good hotel room nearby.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

The main problem is we have 300 line crews where we used to have nearly 1000 before CL&P bought everything up and fired all of them. It took until Weds to get 900 crews working. The first several days were spent with a couple hundred crews "assesing" damage. 20 years ago, we would have hit the ground running and would have been back up and running in a few days.

I'd love to see buried power lines, and while they are at it they could run fiber, natural gas, water and sewer too. It's expensive, but maintaining a well and septic are expensive too. They don't last forever abd I'm not looking forward to a $15,000 leech field or $10,000 well (mine is 500' down through mostly solid ledge). But I'm also not looking forward to any more rate hikes or taxes as we are already paying some of the highest rates as it is, and don't really get much for it. As my business grows my wife and I have talked about simply leaving CT instead of investing to grow it here.

Interesting that I'm not the only one that thinks it's like A third world power grid. LOL.

Anyhow, I funneled it tonight. That's the ticket right there. Easy and fast. I'm thinking of running out to buy a bunch of tunnels tomorrow so I'll have them for when we transition to spill proof funnels. Lesson learned.

My favorite part of the new cans is how they are totally sealed. So you open them in warm weather, then in cold weather they collapse when the vapors inside contract. Then I run the can under hot water, wasting natural gas to expand ther vapor, which rushes out anyway when I open the can, defeating the purpose of the sealed can. Plus they are junk and the spouts fall apart. I think my next can is going to be one of the heavy metal ones Lowes sells.

I still have the old cans and will not buy the new ones unless forced to do so. I use a funnel every time I fill my equipment.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    My favorite part of the new cans is how they are totally sealed. So you open them in warm weather, then in cold weather they collapse when the vapors inside contract. Then I run the can under hot water, wasting natural gas to expand ther vapor, which rushes out anyway when I open the can, defeating the purpose of the sealed can. Plus they are junk and the spouts fall apart. I think my next can is going to be one of the heavy metal ones Lowes sells.
    1+. One is on my list for next spring.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Easy answer,

Just check out garage sales, and stock up on old ones like I did. Got three for less than $5.

Rick Potter

In my magic crystal ball - I see a similar debacle w/table saws and mandatory brakes.

The can in Dave's post is a great one. The newer plastic ones, uhhh............ they suck, literally and don't work.

John
    For the record, CL&P didn't actually buy anything. CL&P had been the T&D component of Northeast Utilities prior to deregualtion in 2001. Nothing changed except that NU was forced to get out of the generation side of business.
    Also for the record, We've been paying back a 1+ billion dollar stranded assests fee for the last 10 years to NU/CL&P, and they've had rate increases to offset a multi billion dollar "Liines Upgrade" project. So we, the rate payers, have been paying on multi billion dollar loans to NU/CL&P for a decade.
    The question someone needs to ask Jeff Butler is: Where has all the power been going for the last week?, and how much have you made transmitting it out of state?

I hope you got your power restored by now, or soon. Mine was out for 9 days in Irene, and luckily we didn't lose it this go round.

Mike
    It's not quite "third world", we do supply some o the largest population densities in the world, outside of Tokyo, with electricity. It's really a matter of the beauty of Connecticut's countryside is inconsistent with so many above ground lines. There are a lot of trees in CT.
    It can be made better, and has in the past been a very reliable infrastructure, it just takes a commitment.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-06-2011 at 8:56 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    In my magic crystal ball - I see a similar debacle w/table saws and mandatory brakes.
    Don't even go there.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have an older model of this one (or at least that style). It's the best gas can I've ever owned, I never spill a drop.

I recently ran out of gas on the expressway, walked to a gas station, bought a can and gas, and returned to the truck. I stood there for a few minutes waiting for some gas to come out of that stupid spout. Meanwhile as there was a guardrail where i stopped semi's are running two feet behind me at speed. I gave up and grabbed a ryoba saw out of the back and cut the neck off of the spout, poked a hole in the can for venting with a jack knife, and filled the tank. The cost of the can was not worth standing there with semis running a couple of feet from me.

I use a big funnel when filling the tractor too, Takes about ten minutes to empty 5 gallons with the spout, about thirty seconds with it off. Now I got in the habit of throwing the tractor on the trailor and driving it to the station. That way I can run it through tha car wash at the same time.

A couple of sources of good cans. I bought a few in Canada that still work and cans made for racing are expensive but will actually pour.

Larry

Don't even go there.
    Myk,
    I guess you're right..

I'm just cranky - as usual -because of my "four flush" water saver.

Now I see that yet one more thing in my future is going to make me miserable - - when it comes time to replace my ancient 5 gal gas can.

Thank God I'm old and going to die soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Myk,
    I guess you're right..

I'm just cranky - as usual -because of my "four flush" water saver..
    Number 1 - Regular flush
    Number 2 - Hold the handle down

I just filled my gas can this morning. Was cold, so of course I couldn't open it.
    Frickin Government.

Still have a steel 5 gal. to use when I throw this one out.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night