Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leading cause of spilled gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    10 years ago, it was the couple of drops that sometimes spilled when I removed the filler from my car's tank. Today, the leading cause for me is EASILY the new anti-spill gas cans. Between the awkward positions it requires and the malfunctions where the sliding part gets stuck, I easily spill far mire today than I ever had. More importantly, I spill at more dangerous times, i.e. when refueling. Finally, it takes MUCH longer to fill anything than it ever did in the past. Am I the only one that sees these monstrosities as a complete failure right across the board??I need to find some old fashioned gas cans. These things are just not safe.
    Don't get me started on this... We've had to use these for years here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. Best I can figure, the manufacturer is buddy buddy with the government. If you can't sell your junk, no problem just get a law passed to make it mandatory and make up some lies about it being "safer" or "green". Maybe the oil companies are in on it too seeing how more fuel winds up on the ground than in the tank causing you to have to purchase more... I have to get my family to smuggle me in some proper fuel spouts and Danish Oil. I'm a hardcore criminal.

the gasoline will flow better when the can are vented
    I do not have any trouble with pouring gas into my lawn tractor but maybe this is because the gas can are from 1994

I use 5 gal jerry cans for fuel storage. Since they only have a single opening, even using a spout is slow, and the wide mouth makes it difficult for all but the largest funnels. So I picked up one of these (a few actually, one is dedicated to each type of fluid I use it for). Works quick, no spillage.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    the gasoline will flow better when the can are vented
    I do not have any trouble with pouring gas into my lawn tractor but maybe this is because the gas can are from 1994
    You're in for a rotten experience if you go to buy new ones at some point later. Might be better off buying a couple of old metal cans at a flea market if you break the ones you have.

I think that this can was to replace a leaky can , can not say that this can were new when I bought it, I got a brand new can in my truck never been use and I wonder how it will handle the pouring of the gas

I bet the manufacturers would rather be free to make gas cans that people like than be hamstrung by these government regulations. Sales of gas cans would likely increase if the old fashioned vented ones could still be sold. Right now folks are holding onto old gas cans or scrounging for used ones instead of buying new ones.

I have one gas can that is missing the cap for the vent. It sounds like I am better off just using what I have instead of buying a new can.

I still have two 5gal gas cans that have the vent on them. I treat like gold and guard them as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Myk,
    I guess you're right..

I'm just cranky - as usual -because of my "four flush" water saver.

Now I see that yet one more thing in my future is going to make me miserable - - when it comes time to replace my ancient 5 gal gas can.

Thank God I'm old and going to die soon....
    All toilets are not created equal. This is where buying a more expensive/performance toilet really pays. Large flush valves and large trapways are two key elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    All toilets are not created equal. This is where buying a more expensive/performance toilet really pays. Large flush valves and large trapways are two key elements.
    I have Kohler low water usage toilets in my house. They work great. I have never had to flush more than once and they don't clog either. The model I have in my house cost around $125 or so. Not bottom of the barrel, but not expensive either.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I bet the manufacturers would rather be free to make gas cans that people like than be hamstrung by these government regulations. Sales of gas cans would likely increase if the old fashioned vented ones could still be sold. Right now folks are holding onto old gas cans or scrounging for used ones instead of buying new ones.
    I'm sure they have estimates on what it will do to their can sales. My old can (which my dad uses now) is still going strong. When I moved out here, I had to buy another one, and I'm sure the leakproof device that's on mine is probably not CARB compliant, but it is an unvented can and it is a pain in the rear, and the mechanism on it is broken, so it catches and spills some every time I use it. Probably 1 in 10 times does it not spill something.

Most people would replace it. That's a sale to the gas can folks, regardless of how it originates. I continue to use it out of spite. I don't believe our woes as a society are going to be solved by spilling or not spilling an ounce or two of gas per year, when in the third world, all manner of things are being spewed into the air, and things like washing of used electronics and heavy metals is done in rivers and open space.

But, anyway, I'm sure the can maker's know what it will do for their sales, and I'd imagine they expect an increase and may not mind.

How much would a can cost, anyway, without the stupid apparatus on the front of it? $15 for a 5 gallon can? These stupid carb compliant cans are like $35.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I have Kohler low water usage toilets in my house. They work great. I have never had to flush more than once and they don't clog either. The model I have in my house cost around $125 or so. Not bottom of the barrel, but not expensive either.
    My point exactly, $125 is more expensive than the $49 cheapy at Lowes.

Oh heavens, I hope we never get anti-spill safety toilets...

All toilets are not created equal. This is where buying a more expensive/performance toilet really pays.
    Our "four flush wonder" is a Kohler San Raphael....
    Define "more expensive".

FWIW - IMHO - I consider the over $800 we paid for the stupid thing to be on the "expensive" side.

Anyhow - this really isn't about toilets....so ...I won't comment on them anymore.

It's just that when I see some new gadgetry that's become a mandatory requirment because someone feels something is too scary or too wasteful or too whatever, the "new and improved" version is usually an unworkable kludge.
    I'm going to go out in the tool shed and give my 26 year old gas can a big hug... .

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Our "four flush wonder" is a Kohler San Raphael....
    Define "more expensive".

FWIW - IMHO - I consider the over $800 we paid for the stupid thing to be on the "expensive" side.

Anyhow - this really isn't about toilets....so ...I won't comment on them anymore.

It's just that when I see some new gadgetry that's become a mandatory requirment because someone feels something is too scary or too wasteful or too whatever, the "new and improved" version is usually an unworkable kludge.
    I'm going to go out in the tool shed and give my 26 year old gas can a big hug... .
    An oddity indeed. It makes me wonder if there is some defect or misadjustment.

I whole heartedly agree about the mandatory new gadgetry. As it does seem like 99% of the time, it makes a product worse. The market drives innovation, the gov't drives knee-jerk stupidity and the gas can debacle is but a prime example.

John, has your grid power come back yet? Mine was only off 10 hours, and that was bad enough. Though we were trapped in our subdivision for part of that time as the power line was down across the only way in and out. They finally just put up cones and let people drive across it. Least you have a generator, but 10 gallons a day isn't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    An oddity indeed. It makes me wonder if there is some defect or misadjustment.

I whole heartedly agree about the mandatory new gadgetry. As it does seem like 99% of the time, it makes a product worse. The market drives innovation, the gov't drives knee-jerk stupidity and the gas can debacle is but a prime example.

John, has your grid power come back yet? Mine was only off 10 hours, and that was bad enough. Though we were trapped in our subdivision for part of that time as the power line was down across the only way in and out. They finally just put up cones and let people drive across it. Least you have a generator, but 10 gallons a day isn't cheap.
    I think it came back Sunday morning if I remember right. Actually, it came back last Weds or Thurs sometime....they reconnected my neutral and untangled my wires Sunday morning