Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leading cause of spilled gasoline

Sounds rather reckless to energize lines while they are still tangled up......

John and others,

Check out No-Spill gas cans. They work great. I have 2 and love them. Even more than my old metal ones. Best fuel containers I have ever used. On is on & off is off. Self stopping too. Flexible extensions are available and work well. I have turned several friends on to them and they love them too.

http://www.nospill.com/
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Amazingly enough, the power just went out AGAIN. Of course...it's raining a little bit...why not? This has gotten ridiculous and makes me wonder (among scores of other things) why on Earth I decided to start a business here. What a mistake....hopefully one I will fix in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Amazingly enough, the power just went out AGAIN. Of course...it's raining a little bit...why not? This has gotten ridiculous and makes me wonder (among scores of other things) why on Earth I decided to start a business here. What a mistake....hopefully one I will fix in the coming years.
    John, What type of business are you in?

I build guitars. Occasionally I even almost sell one. LOL. I'm keeping it very small and very low key until I have a good, local base. I have enough casual interest to stay busy for a little while, and that's what I want right now.

It is like everything that has been regulated by the government, someone at one time or another did something stupid and a high priced lawyer got wind of it and got a big lawsuit against a munufacturer of gas cans. Then the gub'mint got involved and decided what was best for everyone because of some knucklehead! I think I have 5 bigger cans that are 5 or 6 gallons, some are older but they get used a lot and have traveled to Canada and out west etc and the nozzles get broken or wear out or I have had one chewed up by a bear. I also had a one gallon for chain saw mix that some litle tooth critter decided to chew in half! Can't figure that one out, but who knows what lurks in the minds of rodents!

So now I make replacement filler nozzles myself with a piece of hose or what I have handy if I break one. I did make one out of a piece of flexible blue plastic conduit that worked well. With a little thought and some rubber gaskets or "O" rings you can get things to work the way you want.

Good luck and we are still free, but for how much longer.................

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks Don, those look much better than the crap I have now. I loaned my last good one to someone who ran out of gas. He liked it so much he kept on going with it...

FWIW:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10102.html

If you have older no-spill cans, there is a recall on them because they can leak around screw on collar. I think it's fixed now, though.

I saw those at my John Deere dealer. Pricey, but not as much so as the metal ones. How long to they last?

I believe that the new cans are not allowed to leak fumes. It seems that as things heat up, the cans do not vent, so they expand. There are now numerous reports of what I like to call "premature can failure" because the can expands and contracts. I saw many reviews for one of these cans where multiple people were complaining about cracked spouts because of this. If you do not vent the can before using, you may propel the gas out of the can under pressure. Giving how much some of my plastic cans deformed, I was actually afraid that one might burst and spew gas all over everything.

My favorite gas can is an older model that does not do this. I will admit, however, that I have a metal five gallon can that I like very well, and I am not afraid that it will burst.

Do the No Spill cans collapse in the cold? My Blitz can collapsed to where the corners have creases. I like the idea of the No Spill design but the can still seems thin. I had one in my hands at the hardware store today but put it back pending further research.

I sent Blitz an email about how bad their cans are and got a response that it's the EPAs fault and their cans meet all applicable standards. They said it would return to normal at room temperature. I responded back that I didn't realize they needed to be stored at room temperature so I've moved it to my basement.

I was at the hardware store yesterday and saw a display on those No-Spill gasoline cans. The thing I noticed is that they seem to be really expensive, but I haven't bought a gas can in at least 10 years. They were like $20 for the 2.5 gallon version which is cheaper than CARB cans if they really $35 each.

The hardware store I was at tends to be super expensive on everything except power equipment so I wouldn't doubt these gas cans are less expensive elsewhere.

The 1.25 was $18.00.

Oh my, it had not occurred to me that the cans may the collapse when it is cold out. I have not yet seen this, but at the moment, my cans are totally full so that may help a bit.

At the end of the day, if it causes a problem, may need to drill a very small hole to allow pressure to equalize; or just replace them all with very heavy metal cans.

the metal cans at H F were selling at thirty nine dollars plus, a metal can will also collapse to some degree in cold weather unless the air pressure are the same inside of the can and outside of the can so leave the cap loose after you empty all of the fuel out of the can, if you try to pour gasoline out of the new cans and wear gloves " good luck with the handle "