Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leading cause of spilled gasoline

this is the can we have, and it absolutely drives me crazy. I spill more now than ever. I miss the old metal flexible neck style gas cans with a passion. I never spilled more than 1-2 drops with those, but these news one constantly get stuck open/don't open/the spring sticks, or the spring is too strong and cracks the plastic..etc.

Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

will the spout from one can fit another can ? the can that I bought are similar to this can but the spout got a on/off handle

Back about the time of this thread I picked up one of the 1.25gal No-Spill cans but didn't fill it until early spring. It seems to be a decent system. My first spout leaked gas when I shook to mix the 2-cycle oil but No-Spill quickly sent another. Turned out that I just didn't have it tight enough though-really need to crank them down. The No-Spill system works OK, but not great. On my blower which has a pretty big tank it seemed to work right. On my string trimmer which has a tiny tank, if I put the spout in far enough for it to work, the tank is maybe half full. But at least the spout is easy to use other than the tightening issue. Most importantly, the cans seem to be thick enough to not collapse on itself when the temperature changes--and we've had some big swings this spring. My John Deere/Stihl/Husqvarna dealer stocks replacement spouts as does Amazon. Spouts are similar in price to replacing an entire big box store gas can.

I like it well enough that I bought another 1.25 gal one for the non-2cycle oil for the chipper and pressure washer, and then bought a 5 gallon one yesterday with my zero turn.

I also looked at the metal cans sold at Lowes. They look difficult to fill at the pump--I think my wife would have trouble holding the lid open--and the funnel is hard to get on and off and I think it will break quickly. On the other hand they seem more stable due to their shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I believe that the new cans are not allowed to leak fumes. It seems that as things heat up, the cans do not vent, so they expand. There are now numerous reports of what I like to call "premature can failure" because the can expands and contracts. I saw many reviews for one of these cans where multiple people were complaining about cracked spouts because of this. If you do not vent the can before using, you may propel the gas out of the can under pressure. Giving how much some of my plastic cans deformed, I was actually afraid that one might burst and spew gas all over everything.

My favorite gas can is an older model that does not do this. I will admit, however, that I have a metal five gallon can that I like very well, and I am not afraid that it will burst.
    After a little incident with my new 1.25 gal no spill can, I now leave the lid loose, except to pour.
    I have a couple other older cans that I don't have any problems with, but my chainsaw was running poorly and I wanted to get some fresh gasoline to see if that would help. I stopped at the big box store on my way home from work to get a new can. I live 25 miles from the nearest gas station, so I wasn't going to drive all the way home to get one of my old cans, then turn around and go all the way back to the station.
    I can verify that the no spill cans absolutely do not vent. I went to fill my chainsaw one afternoon (it was a warm day), put the spout in the gas tank, pulled back the release mechanism, and gas exploded everywhere! The gas shot out of the spout under so much pressure that it hit the bottom of the gas tank on the chainsaw and shot out of the opening directly onto my face and arms. My face and head were drenched along with my arms and my shorts were soaked. I immediately went to the hose to flush it out of my eyes, but I can say gas in your eyes stings!
    So now I never store it with the lid screwed on tight, so much for reducing vapors. The day was warm, but not hot, I live in the Phoenix area and in the dead of summer I can imagine the pressure building enough to explode the container.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

At least one can I looked at specifically said to release the pressure with the can sitting flat to prevent that. That way the vapors can come out without having to push out liquid first.

I just bought a new blitz 5 gal. can. Yeah, the spout is the EPA's dream/my nightmare. I wonder if some quality time with a 1/2" drill bit is in order .........

There are a bunch of youtube videos about adding a vent with people either using a valve with out the schrader valve in it. Looks really easy to do, one guy even did it with the gas in it but I wouldn't recommend it.

They don't want them to vent, that is the idea. But of course they don't think of the consequences of a sealed system. Must have something to do with the gov.

I have that problem with my 5-gallon can that I bought either from the Blue BORG or Wally-World. My 2-gallon that I have for 2-cycle mix is great however. They are the same style, but I think the larger one is just that much more awkward. You really need three hands unless it's almost empty. It's difficult to depress the valve AND hold both handles at the same time. I usually don't get more that 3 gallons at a time for that very reason. And it's difficult to poor gently with it. Between the angle of the spout and the momentum of the gas it is almost impossible to pour into my lawn mower without some splashing back up off the rim of the fill.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    There are a bunch of youtube videos about adding a vent with people either using a valve with out the schrader valve in it. Looks really easy to do, one guy even did it with the gas in it but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Hmm...that's REAL tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Hmm...that's REAL tempting.
    Shouldn't hurt anything unless you leave the cap off. Would sure beat getting gas in your face huh. Did you notice how many doomsday preppers there were adding vents to their gas cans? I'm still using a couple old ones I have but when I upgrade I will probably vent them.

Kathy, I had the same problem with my can and almost post a WARNING about it here , it could save you you from the burning eyes, if I drill a vent hole ? where on the can?

Go on Youtube and type gas can vent or no spill gas can and you should get several videos on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    this is the can we have, and it absolutely drives me crazy. I spill more now than ever. I miss the old metal flexible neck style gas cans with a passion. I never spilled more than 1-2 drops with those, but these news one constantly get stuck open/don't open/the spring sticks, or the spring is too strong and cracks the plastic..etc.

That's the design I have, too, and I hate it.

I can either put that hog to my push mower.

Or try to put gas in a 1.25 gallon can with it (which will never open the spring when it's empty).

I prided myself on the old eagle can with the rubber hose that I could spll *no* gasoline, and all it had in it was a tiny screen in the end of the tip, with a plug, that was just enough to vent pressure.

The end of my can is now damaged somehow and even if it weren't, by the time the spring goes on that can, it's coming out like niagara falls, and I either stop way short on the mower or let it run over the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    John and others,

Check out No-Spill gas cans. They work great. I have 2 and love them. Even more than my old metal ones. Best fuel containers I have ever used. On is on & off is off. Self stopping too. Flexible extensions are available and work well. I have turned several friends on to them and they love them too.

http://www.nospill.com/
    Well, I'll remember No Spill Jill for sure!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.