Thread: What Forum Spam software do we use?

Question What Forum Spam software do we use?

On an unrelated forum I started a few weeks ago (using vBulletin) the spammers have arrived. I kick off about 10 fake users per day and about the same number of threads on Electronic Cigarettes. How does Sawmill Creek deal with this kind of stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Brian Kent
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

We get them also. I am not aware of any software interaction, they are usually reported to us by a member and Keith removes them. We had one this morning.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Our club uses phpBB. We went to 100% moderator approval a couple years ago but even that got overwhelming so this fall we went to "email this address and say where you live and why you want to join." That's working well and since that account is a Gmail account, very little spam. But our growth is measured in the 1's per month so its manageable.

My Simple Machines forum software uses a third-party module called StopForumSpam. When someone signs up, it checks their IP and E-Mail against a database of known spammers. If they pass that, they get one of those CAPTCHA-type things.