Thread: Hardwood Ply and Pocket Screws

Hardwood Ply and Pocket Screws

I am making a bookcase and the frame calls for 3/4" hardwood ply (probably going to use oak). I will be assembling using pocket screws. Would I use coarse or fine thread screws on the plywood? I am relatively new to using pocket screws, so I wasn't sure if the fine thread for hardwoods rule was the way to go for plywood as well.
    Thanks for the info.

Use the coarse or Hi-Lo screws for plywood.

I used coarse. I also used the ones sized for 1/2" material and cut dados to join the material (also added glue). Probably overkill, but at the time I felt like it helped pull everything into alignment...

The key fact is that the core plies, even in "hardwood" plywood are nearly always poplar, which is pretty soft. Use coarse screws.

The coarse threads are best. Also, be certain not to over tighten or drive the pocket screws. With the plywood and even the coarse screws, you can strip the hole out. I use a driver with a clutch and set it carefully.

Blog Entries
    One more vote for coarse or hi-lo for ply of any kind.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sage advise!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    The coarse threads are best. Also, be certain not to over tighten or drive the pocket screws. With the plywood and even the coarse screws, you can strip the hole out. I use a driver with a clutch and set it carefully.

Just curious , why plywood for the frame ,,, do you mean face frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas love View Post
    Just curious , why plywood for the frame ,,, do you mean face frame?
    That's what the plan calls for. By frame, I'm talking case sides and top and bottom. It's the design style from Woodsmith #159. I don't have the magazine, but I found the cut list on-line as a down-loadable extra and am working up ideas on construction on my own.

I'd use the coarse also, careful to not overtighten as stated (easily done).
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Coarse for plywood or soft woods, fine for hardwoods.

Funny.. I dislike the fine screws even for hardwoods.. makes me think I don't get it .. Perhaps I should try them again.

I also recommend the Kreg hi-lo for plywood of any species

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Funny.. I dislike the fine screws even for hardwoods.. makes me think I don't get it .. Perhaps I should try them again.
    I use coarse for everything. I tried the fine in hardwood and I just don't think they worked great. I have not tried the high low.

O/T, but I'm using the fine in some hardwood White Oak frames I'm doing and they have worked very well.