Thread: Using a leaf blower in the air cleaner

Using a leaf blower in the air cleaner

Hello Gentlemans!Just a question - would like to know your opinion. I plan to build an air cleaner - here there are a lot of good examples. But the main question - where to find a squirrel cage. Here in Ukraine ours places for garbage (svalka) not such rich as in US. So it very hard to find such device as squirrel cage. But exist tools with English name - leaf blowers. The cheap models are priced near 30 USD and have power 0,6 kVt.So what will be your opinion regarding using such leaf blower as the heart of air cleaner.Georg

Hi Georg,
    When you say "air cleaner" do you mean, pulling air across a filter to clean the general area air? I'm assuming you are not talking a dust collector. Noise will be one of the differences in a leaf blower as compared to a squirrel cage fan. Also the leaf blower will not move as much air, it's focus is on velocity not volume.
    Different regions use different means to heat buildings, if your area use "central heating systems" then can you find someone that installs heating systems? If so, they may be able to give or sell you a used squirrel cage fan and motor. I picked up a couple that way.

Blog Entries
    Georg,

As Josh mentioned, a leaf blower motor will be loud as sin and you'll get tired of working in the shop quite quickly.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan and Josh, Thank you for explanation enough clear that I'm pull away my first idea use a leaf blower in the air cleaner.Well, I'll try to find used squirrel cage.Georg

Possibly an automotive fan? An electric with a stepdown transformer, or just a steel blade hooked to an old electric motor with a close tolerance shroud. That last part, a shroud with close tolerances is very important. I solved a cooling problem on a race truck just by building a shroud with a .5 inch less distance between the fan and the shroud.

I assume you are talking about an ambient air cleaner, not a dust collector? More filter area is important as well, slowing the air improves the performance of the filter.

Lets hear what you come up with........

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Zudoff View Post
    Dan and Josh, Thank you for explanation enough clear that I'm pull away my first idea use a leaf blower in the air cleaner.Well, I'll try to find used squirrel cage.Georg
    If what you are aiming for is a whole room air cleaner then try to find someone who installs new air and heating systems for homes. They pull out very good and large whole house squirrel cage fans and usually scrap them for the metal. They can be had for cheap or for just taking it away for them.

Now if you mean a blower for a dust system there are plans for these but most people find broken commercial blowers and salvage the blower fan and rebuild an enclosure with a new motor. If I recall correctly Pentz has plans on his site. But there may not be plans there for the actual blower fan as I think about it. But I am convinced I have seen plans out there on the Internet. You could make a hopped up shop vac/dust system with leaf blower and an electric motor to cut down on the noise. I don't know the CFM of a leaf blower but it could perhaps be used to make a smaller mobile single machine dust collector. Best of luck.