Thread: hinge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

hinge

As a woodworker I am in awe of what a machinist can do with metal. To that end I've been trying to find someone who can make a hinge like I have on my 4 fold 2 foot wooden rule. The hinge allows the arms to unfold 180.

I found one gent who could do it but he had a stroke and gave up on that work. I tried a bunch of machinist blog sites and never got one reply. I went to three machine shops around my house that advertised no job too small - my request qualified as the exception.

I was wondering if there is a woodworking machinist out there who can answer my question - can someone make this hinge? Or can someone point in the right direction? I would appreciate any advice, comments, etc.

thanx
    ralph

Got a picture Ralph.
    My son-in-law likes challenging jobs in the machine shop.

A drawing would be better.

Hi Dale,
    Here's some pics. I really don't want something like this. I just want two U shaped things that are hinged. If I can figure out how to get a pic of a drawing I'll post it. For this should give you an idea of what I'm looking for.
    thanx
    ralph

SANY1962.JPGSANY1963.JPG

Hi Dale,
    Here's a drawing and I don't claim to be an artist. I'm not sure of how to make the hinge or how thick the sides should be. I just need the two clams to close up against one another. I listed the only dimensions that I need. The rest of the "making" I'll leave up to you're judgement and experience.
    Ralph

drawing-ralph.jpg

You could probably fabricate that whole thing. Get some brass "C" channel model airplane tubing,and a dollhouse furniture hinge to solder to it. Micro Mark sells both items.

Thanks for the info George. I'll check it out.
    ralph

Another possible option, if you can alter the ¼” dimension, would be to carefully modify an old ladies zippo lighter using a jewelers saw. The inside dimension of the one I have measures 3/8”.
    Just a thought..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Another possible option, if you can alter the ¼” dimension, would be to carefully modify an old ladies zippo lighter using a jewelers saw. The inside dimension of the one I have measures 3/8”.
    Just a thought..
    did Zippo made a old men lighter ?

LOL, that's not how I meant it!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

hmmmm, are someone embarrass

If you can find a small one,a cigarette lighter hinge would be MUCH,MUCH stronger than a doll house hinge. Maybe a CHILD'S Zippo ?