Thread: More Tashiro Hardware.......

More Tashiro Hardware.......

I had left a message for Frank to call me Tuesday am ---which he did by noon. After our conversation, he said they'd probably ship the same day - and maybe I'd get them by the weekend........

Here they are!

1 right flush blade
    1 left flush blade
    1 Queen Dovetail Blade
    1 Joint blade
    1 Extra Fine Joint Blade
    2 King blade holders for the Joints...
    1 dovetail blade holder

I'll make the handles.

Thank you Mr. Singer.... I look forward to their use!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice little haul you have there! Congrats!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Blog Entries
    Ok I can't seem to instigate a discussion concerning the advantages of Tashiro saws. I am a Japanese saw fan but not having any knowledge of Tashiro or a web address I have bought Silkys since that was all I know.

Could someone post a link and maybe some of the reasons that you guys like these saws.

For instance I know that some of the Japanese blades are wider at the top and thinner at the back eliminating the need for tooth offsets. I think the teeth are actually offset within the width of the kerf with teeth on opposing sides of the kerf. My practical reason for preferring these saws is, I have found them easier to saw accurately with. The 27 tpi blade dovetail saw I have seems to cut very fast for a saw with so many small teeth. It would seem to be an advantage in wood working to be able to saw more quickly with saws that have more teeth. The kerf made by the saws I am using are so small that they are not nearly as likely to corrupt the fit of a joint.

The only problem I have had with this type saw has been, the steel can be brittle enough to break if not used with caution. I believe they are hardened to a very high degree to make it possible to get by with the thinner blades and smaller sharper teeth. I have not broken one doing woodworking but the high stress, rapid cuts I do trimming live trees has broken a couple saw teeth or tips on my arborist type saws.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-04-2005 at 8:31 AM.

Hi Mike,

I don't know if there is any technical value of the Tashiro Saws over others. For me, I ordered the Tashiros because I thought they were a good value, and the fact that they sold blade holders for custom handles was the clincher. I know it was subjective, but I also liked dealing with gentler, kinder, smaller operator like Mr. Tashiro. As Roy said above, he delivers what he promises. I got my saws in 3 days, all the way across the country.

Just my $.02,
    Bob

Mike,

I have Tashiros tree saw as well. The Japanese saws are all very similar. The tooth pattern is basically the same and all cut on the pull stroke. The steel is harder and is subject to breaking of teeth. Because it is harder, it dosen't need sharpening nearly as often...which is a good thing, since they are nearly impossible to sharpen. As far as the different brands of Japanese saws, I have tried many and there are differences. They are subtle. If you go to the Japan Woodworker , you will find Dozukis over $200 each. Like with fine wines there are differences, I find the Tashiro line to represent a great value and like with many things sometimes the less expensive one seems better personally. That said, I think the potenial of most Japanese saws exceeds the ability of most users, including myself and it becomes a matter of preference. What is nice here is , the way they cut, interchangeble blades and handles, you can make your handles to your own specifications...size , mass, etc. This last feature makes my Tashiro's feel better and cut better than any I seem to compare it to. I like the weight and feel of the thicker wood handle.

http://www.tashirohardware.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook
    Ok I can't seem to instigate a discussion concerning the advantages of Tashiro saws. I am a Japanese saw fan but not having any knowledge of Tashiro or a web address I have bought Silkys since that was all I know.

Could someone post a link and maybe some of the reasons that you guys like these saws.

For instance I know that some of the Japanese blades are wider at the top and thinner at the back eliminating the need for tooth offsets. I think the teeth are actually offset within the width of the kerf with teeth on opposing sides of the kerf. My practical reason for preferring these saws is, I have found them easier to saw accurately with. The 27 tpi blade dovetail saw I have seems to cut very fast for a saw with so many small teeth. It would seem to be an advantage in wood working to be able to saw more quickly with saws that have more teeth. The kerf made by the saws I am using are so small that they are not nearly as likely to corrupt the fit of a joint.

The only problem I have had with this type saw has been, the steel can be brittle enough to break if not used with caution. I believe they are hardened to a very high degree to make it possible to get by with the thinner blades and smaller sharper teeth. I have not broken one doing woodworking but the high stress, rapid cuts I do trimming live trees has broken a couple saw teeth or tips on my arborist type saws.
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 03-04-2005 at 9:48 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bob & Mark,

It sounds like service, economy and intelligent design flexibility are major considerations for both of you. Major issues in my book as well. Its to bad service has been replaced by marketing hype in so many companies. I noticed some unique blade shapes that looked interesting too. I guess I will be contacting Mr. Tashiro as well. Thanks for the link!
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-04-2005 at 11:07 AM.

Let me say thanks, also, Mark. I think I got the Tahsiro referral second-hand from someone else on the forum, but they did attribute it to you. I bought the joint and joint rip blade and regular handle a year ago. I have no standard for comparison as they are the first Japanese-style saws I've used, but they have been awesome and are my goto handsaws when I want a smooth, accurate cut but don't want to fool with the bandsaw or CMS.

Now I'll probably go back for the tree blade and maybe a backed blade, if they have one:-)