Thread: Know the name of this joint?

Question Know the name of this joint?

I recall seeing this joint on The Woodsmith Shop a while back but cannot think of the name of it. Also, I am considering using it to hold the sides to the back of a toy box I'm building my son. Seems to provide a lot of glue surface and I was favoring it over the half lap. Any thoughts or experience with the joint?
    joint.JPG

I've seen it called a lock joint, or a lock rabbet. It's a very strong joint, especially when when piece will be pulled a lot (for instance, the front of a drawer).
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Blog Entries
    Lock rabbet is what I've always heard.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Drawer-lock is another common name. It is my go-to joint for drawers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-08-2011 at 5:07 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

As the others have said, it is a lock rabbet. It is almost as easy to cut as a plain rabbet, but much stronger. It's main limitation is that the L-shaped tongue on the side board is all short grain, which makes it vulnerable to splitting off (the tongue on the front/back is long grain and pretty strong). It's used a lot in mid-grade drawers (high end are usually dovetailed). For a toy box, I'd be a bit concerned that a typical kid will subject it to more abuse than a drawer, but of course, the expected lifetime of a toy box may be shorter than a kitchen drawer.

Steve, thats my worry. I hope that this is around as long as he is (he's only 14months old). I plan to hand cut dovetails where the front joins the sides. I'm not confident enough in my abilities to do the back with dovetails also (doubling the amount I have to cut). Practice makes perfect i suppose though.

7. go to rockler page you will see the router bit that cuts that profile and its name. can not rember it at this time.. but has large surface area for glue up...