Thread: HVLP Question

HVLP Question

I just ordered the Earlex HV5500 system. How thick of a finish can I spray with this machine and still get a good result.
    I'm interested in mainly using it for clear finishing products like varnish, shellac, poly etc.
    Gregg Feldstone

Gregg, I haven't specific knowledge about the 5500 but i have the 5000 which I believe is very similar, and am happy with it. With poly and varnish, I've been thinning it @ 5% with good results, and I sprayed some Tremclad oil-based rust paint, also thinned @5% and it came out good. They give you a measuring device that helps determine the right viscosity.

Thanks Rick. Since I am new to this I have a lot to learn about thinning/cutting. I have a few thick books on finishing but was wondering if anyone can direct me to a good chart which explains cutting ratios and a table of appropriate thinning agents for various finishes.
    Gregg Feldstone

Gregg, I got this same Earlex 5500 a few months ago and have sprayed about 4 gallons of General Finish EF PolyAcrylic, 1 gallon of high performance poly with excellent result. I did not thin any of them and used the 1.5 mm nozzle to spray. Go to Harbor Freight and get the filters. They are about 6 bucks for a box of 50. When you spray, keep a damp towel with you to wipe off the nozzle when you see a white dry poly on the tip. Also use the damp tower to wrap the nozzle if you need to stop for awhile.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Feldstone View Post
    Thanks Rick. Since I am new to this I have a lot to learn about thinning/cutting. I have a few thick books on finishing but was wondering if anyone can direct me to a good chart which explains cutting ratios and a table of appropriate thinning agents for various finishes.
    Gregg, I'm somewhat new to spraying but not new to finishing. Good technique is important. There's a lot of info around on the 5000 that will be useful for you. http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-...-to-my-earlex/