Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: engineer/designer vs builder/laborer

Matt, what you described there seems to be a lost art--greasing the wheels. I've worked for so many people that are all about "me" and then are slow to pay when the job is done. What do they get for that? Exactly what they paid for--and no more. But, for the ones that offer a cup of coffee, maybe some doughnuts, even lunch or a tip at the end of a job? Darn tootin' I'll be there at the drop of a hat the next time they want something done.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCormick View Post

Bring Donuts annnndtell them you are new and would like to get their advice on your project"I also tell them to go set at the machinist table at break time and just talkto them. The good engineers soon learn it isn't the donuts that have the magic,it is the personal respect that is the magic.
    Exactly. Donuts were the unspoken for us young engineers at the first place I worked. When Maintenance was working on your project, you brought donuts and sat with them at the "bench" to eat, talk about the lates gossip in the plant, then you would talk about the job. Definitely made things go better and helped get to know each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    a lost art--greasing the wheels.
    Exactly...... But there is more. When the ice is broken the benifits flow both ways. I want an old machinist to tell the kid :here is how to make that part better and cheaper"....
    I want that kid to stand by the guys that have too many jobs going at once on to tell managment to cut them a break they will get it done. We all stand on the shoulders of the ones who went before us. I did not wake up one day with the skills I have, I learned them from the 100 or so men I have worked with over the last 40 years. The real lesson is ... Don't let a title, degree, or position keep you from talking or learning from another. If you do you will be the loser... -matt

Well said, Matt. I'm a painting contractor in a university town. I've done quite a bit of work for professors of many different fields of study. From time to time I've gotten to pick their brains a bit in their area of expertise, and I generally don't mind when someone does the same with me. I've even discussed techniques and procedures with some of my painting colleagues (the friendly ones, anyway; some can't be bothered to ever learn something new or teach anyone anything).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore