Thread: looking at getting into turning

looking at getting into turning

I have never turned and I do not own a Lathe. The wife has shown an interest in turning and I would like to learn how to turn some bowls. pens, and legs myself. I am looking for a good lathe to get started on and that will suit my needs as I grow. How about some recommendations

Greg

Some people have used the Harbor Freight lathe as a starter lathe with good sucess. My lathe is an OLD craftsman, from who knows when. I bought it from a friend.

I am sorry I don't have many suggestions for lathes. I can offer you this, it is a great new aspect to the woodworking hobby. I love to turn! A warning, there are MANY toys (tools) you can buy in turning!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hairston
    I have never turned and I do not own a Lathe. The wife has shown an interest in turning and I would like to learn how to turn some bowls. pens, and legs myself. I am looking for a good lathe to get started on and that will suit my needs as I grow. How about some recommendations
    Greg
    If you want to start small I would recommend a Jet Mini. Then if you really get "the bug" I would suggest you save your $ and get a Jet 1642VS. I think it is a great "pair" to have.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.