Thread: MasterCraft Planes, good or bad?

MasterCraft Planes, good or bad?

I'm thinking of buying a couple of MasterCraft planes. I'm just getting started with handtools - and like a lot of people, I'm on a budget.

I only have an old Stanley #110 block plane right now (it came with our first house we ever bought and I'm refurbishing the plane now).

Anyway, I was thinking of buying the MasterCraft #4 and #5 planes. Does anyone have any experience with MasterCraft? Should I steer clear?

Keep in mind that I am totally prepared to upgrade my tools later. I just need something right now to smooth out a benchtop that I'm building.

Thanks for any advice.
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

I have my Grandfather's #5 MasterCraft. I believe this was a Montgomery Ward's brand. I don't know who actually made them, most people assume Stanley, but I'm not so sure. My copy is roughly equivalent to a Bailey Type 9, though I can't remember of the top of my head how the frog is bedded, which is one of the big variances in the Bailey types.

As is often the case with a dept store tool brand, there may have been more than one manufacturer, though all of the MasterCraft's I've seen on Ebay look identical to mine. I suspect this was an economy, DIY-grade plane. The tote and knob are some non-descript hardwood, not rosewood. After tuning up, it has worked well for me. I added a Clifton 2-piece cap iron ($12 from WWS, an inexpensive way to upgrade an old plane). My only compaints are the mouth doesn't close as tightly as I would like, and the depth adjustment knob has quite a bit of slack in it, although that's no big deal.

If you're looking for inexpensive users and will spend the time tuning, I'd say they're a good alternative as they don't get nearly the attention from collectors as Stanley's.

If you don't have it already, I would strongly suggest searching the forum for Bob Smalser's post on plane rehab. It's available on other sites as well, lots of good information on tuning and rehabbing old planes.

Thanks James, I appreciate the advice. I look for that posting too.
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,

Mastercraft was Montygomery Wards house branch and was made for them by various manufactorer's. Stanley, Sargent etc. I would put it i to use they can usualy be had cheap and if you worry about messing up a plane while trying to get it dialed in better that than a nice Stanley, Millers Falls etc.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

A very important point of clarification here. Exactly what "Mastercraft" planes are you talking about, Rob? A pair of old vintage Mastercraft planes, or are these new ones? Like the new ones sold on eBay, either singly, in pairs or sets of three? If so, these are not the tools that James and Jay are talking about.

The new ones are very poor quality imports and are likely to frustrate the heck out of you. I got a look at some of these at one of those traveling tool shows and they make my original Home Depot Buck Brother's plane look like something that belongs on the cover of a Wade Garrett catalog.

They are apparently marketed under the Mastercraft trade name in a very cynical attempt to traffic in peoples' positive recollection of that old hardware brand.

If this is indeed the case, don't feel bad about misjudging what you thought might be a good buy. We can help you find better alternatives for not much more money.
    Marc

Well apparently, I screwed up then. I hate when that happens. Yes, these are from Ebay and I already bought them. A #4 and #5. I guess I'll have to see what happens with them.

I had considered just buying a #5 Buck Bros from Home Depot but did this to save money instead.

Another lesson learned in "you get what you pay for" I suppose.

Well Rob in the Pollyanna School Philosophy, they would make great planes for learning how to fine tune them, as per Garet Hack's plane book. Then when you have them making respectable shavings you will know hand planes inside and out and it won't have cost you much.

I read somewhere that the cheapest plane can be made serviceable if fine tuned, just that some take longer.