Thread: Cursor gets lost in body of message editor

Cursor gets lost in body of message editor

Sometimes, when I'm typing in the body of the message editor, the cursor disappears. I can click in the Title field and get a cursor, I can click in the Tags field and get a cursor, I can highlight text within the message editor. But I can't get a visible cursor inside the "body" of the message editor. When I type, text is alway added at the end of the last sentence.

I can work around the problem by discarding the message and doing the Reply or Post New Thread process over again. I'm using Firefox 3.5.15 on Fedora Core 12 Linux. The same thing happens sometimes when I use the Opera browser. I haven't noticed this problem on the forums at other websites where I post.

I'm not at home so I'm looking at a crappy windows system, but my Firefox is 7.0.1. Could you be running a very old version?

I'm not sure what Mozilla's policy is on supporting old versions but it might be worth checking. They have changed their version numbering scheme and I don't think they support ver. 4 and maybe 5 with security updates. They were making exceptions for 3.x but I don't know what versions are still supported or for how long. I'm using ver. 7 on Ubuntu 11.10 with no issues.

An easy fix for the cursor issue might be to create longer posts in a text editor or save as a .txt file then copy & paste. My cursor is visible in the reply box.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-10-2011 at 6:51 AM.

I tend to update browser versions when I build new computers! I understand the plausibility of the idea that old versions of browsers might not work with the forum. However, just as a matter of curiosity, I'm interested in why this problems happens (so far) only with sawmillcreek. For example, I don't have this problem with the message editor on fedoraforum.org or physicsforums.com.

Another curious thing that happens in the sawmillcreek message editor is that I can't copy the URL line from one browser window (say Firefox) and paste it into the body of the sawmillcreek message editor when it is running on another browser (say Opera). Something gets pasted, but it isn't what I copied. I can do that with the message editors on the other forums.

I've noticed that my problem with the editor is cleared up by selecting the option "Block images from the sawmillcreek website" from a dropdown window in Firefox. This also causes the message window to reload, so it may not be a definitive clue. Just refreshing the editor window sometimes fixes the problem.