Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bloodwood Kitchen Mostly Done

Do they make Bloodwood Plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    Do they make Bloodwood Plywood?
    When I was gathering materials for my kitchen I look everywhere I could think of for bloodwood plywood. I never did find "in stock" bloodwood plywood. I then went to the woodweb's lumber exchange and posted there. I got several response from companies the will lay-up any kind of plywood you want. Of course the draw back to that is cost. I was quoted in the neighborhood of 300 dollars a sheets plus shipping. That was for the two sheets I wanted. I'm sure the price goes down some for more sheet but probably not much unless you buy a lot of it.

I finally ended up having a company make me two sheet of bloodwood veneer at a cost of 175 dollars a sheet plus almost 100 dollars in shipping cost. The company was in NY.

I used that veneer on the sides of the oven , refrigerator and range hood cabinet.

Last edited by Richard McComas; 11-13-2011 at 6:11 AM.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

I'll just add another "what a miserable wood to work with" to the mix. Beautiful when it's done but it fights you every step of the way. I've had it twist just sanding out tool marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Thankyou Rich. Trust me my friend - you made it ALL SPECIAL!! Beautiful work.

Curious to its color in 6 months or a year - please post it again so we can see how it looks then.
    Mike, It took me so long to complete this kitchen that what you see is at least 6 months old. I built the cabinet and stored them in my shop while I re-did the room they go in.
    Rich

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    Morning Richard,
    Outstanding kitchen design and execution! I was flabbergasted at 1st first, sight to say the least. I have had a notion that I would tackle a kitchen remodel as far back as 10 years ago and have doodles and design concepts stacked a foot high with no certain resolution. I'm floundering a lot. You have incorporated most of the aspects of what I envisioned for my cabinets.

May I ask why you didn't build the cabinets from raw stock, choosing instead to use a ply product? How did you, and what level of difficulty was it attaching your raised panel ends? Last but no least where did you find the indoor grill? I have been looking for one that has an elegant appearance without the clunky commercial look for quite some time. Amana had one a few years back, but it's now discontinued.

Thanks in advance and again outstanding work.
    Dave
    Everything is solid wood except for the boxes. It would be a shame to use blood wood where it's not readily seen. Also solid wood boxes would have major wood movement to deal with. There is a good reason they invented plywood.

An indoor BBQ grill should be easy to find on the internet with a Google. The one I have is a Thermador.

To apply the end panels I made my face frames and raised end panels. I ran them on my shaper using the dreaded lock miter bit, glued them up and applied them to the cabinet box.

Last edited by Richard McComas; 11-13-2011 at 7:41 AM.
    Rich

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    Everything is solid wood except for the boxes. It would be a shame to use blood wood where it's not readily seen. Also solid wood boxes would have major wood movement to deal with. There is a good reason they invented plywood.

An indoor BBQ grill should be easy to find on the internet with a Google. The one I have is a Thermador.

To apply the end panels I made my face frames and raised end panels. I ran them on my shaper using the dreaded lock miter bit, glued them up and applied them to the cabinet box.

Thanks Richard. A picture is worth a thousand words! I thought wood movement would have been your answer for the cases. seems to be the standard. I was thinking to build the cabinets like furniture, but after hanging out here and reading many books your approach as well as everyone else is the way I will build.

LOL yes it was Thermador not Amana's indoor grill I was drooling over. I'll keep looking!

When you attached your face frames and raised panels did you use anything to help with the alignment like biscuits or dowels?