Thread: ?Best Finish for interior veneered doors??

?Best Finish for interior veneered doors??

Formerly a lurker at Knots until it imploded, I have read a lot of the threadsthere and here about finishing and noted that some of the answers depend upon space and equipment limitations (compressor size, spray equipment and explosion proof fan). I am good with a brush, and I have no problem wiping finishes either, but I am also open to learning how to spray. I do have a 3 hp 80 gal compressor, and recently acquired a used Grizzly dry spray booth with a 2 or 3 horse explosion proof fan, which i am venting outdoors. I will be getting a spray gun (still reading but maybe an Iwata 440) and the appropriate separators and filters. Ultimately I want to be able to spray kitchen cabinets, bath vanities, etc as I work my way thru remodeling my house. Previoulsy I have not sprayed anything but house wall paint and my prior WW'ing projects have gotten shellac (bed), or Bartley's gel wiping varnish (bath vanity), or General Finishes Cell-o-seal and Armor (?) Seal wiping varnish (?) on kitchen pantry cabinets, or Waterlox on a headboard for one of my daughters.

I have several new doors I am installing and they are raised panel with a cherry veneer and will (most likely) have painted jams. 2 are for bedrooms and 2 are for bathrooms (moisture is my concern). Is there a general consensus about what is the best looking and performing finish? I have not yet played with lacquers, either solvent-based or waterborne, but am open to learning . Initially i was thinking brushed or sprayed varnish for the bathroom doors, but keep envisioning the trim on a long-dead uncle's Chris Craft which was thick and sturdy . . . . . very glossy but no tactile sensation.. . . . so there has to be a better choice, I assume.

House is a '60's non-descript California ranch so there is not yet enough "personality" to influence the decision, but I am hoping that the doors will add to the ambience, and at the end of the journey the place will be warm and inviting, a visual treat, etc . . . . . .

Your experience is much appreciated.

I have considered doing a wiping of BLO and then orange garnet shellac, as i read it is supposed to pop the grain . . .. but does this work on veneered doors or only on solid cherry doors?

Also, still need thoughts on whether i should do/still need a topcoat over the shellac???

Any thoughts appreciated. Patrick

Since you said you like the tactile feel of a close to the wood finish, why not use the Arm-R-Seal you already are familiar with and like. It is beautiful on cherry and 3 - 5 thin coats will be more than durable enough for interior doors, even for a bathroom (assuming you have a vent fan). Shellac also is nice and has very good moisture resistance, but not water resistance. I don't see much benefit of BLO and shellac other than it will shift the color somewhat darker. Actually, I never see a benefit of BLO but that's just my personal bias. The nice part about Arm-R-Seal or any wiping varnish is that you can get great results w/o having to spray. Padded on shellac would give an equally impressive, smooth finish. I've tried the Seal-A-Cell then Arm-R-Seal route, also, but never saw any real benefit - perhaps a slight color shift towards red.

John, thank you. I appreciate your time and thoughts. I used the Seal-a-cell on the maple pantry cabinets because it was supposed to avoid blotchiness, which i understand is more common to the cherry in my current venture. Whether the results would have been different i do no know, but i am going to do more test strips this time to figure it out. Thanks again, Patrick

Water born in your crosshairs? Modern Masters has super urethane clear finish. I have used it on several projects. Table tops and exterior front doors. Give it a shot (no pun intended).
    If ya want a really tough finish, why not a catalized varnish? Sounds like ya have the equipment.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill White; 11-11-2011 at 2:51 PM.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.