Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SawMill Creek Swap Meet May 14th, 2005

SawMill Creek Swap Meet May 14th, 2005

On Saturday May 14th 2005 we will host the first official SawMill Creek Swap Meet and Woodworkers Gathering in Gloucester County Virginia. We are planning on this being a huge event so make your plans now to attend. There will be drawings for prizes and plenty of space for hundreds of woodworkers and their famillies. Our Swap meet will be hosted twice each year, the fall Swap Meet will be in October. As more details become available we will post the information as quickly as possible.

Come gather with all of your SMC friends and bring any tools, equipment or lumber you are interested in selling or money for the goodies you are interested in purchasing. We should be able to host as many demonstrations as there are volunteers so don't be shy and let me know if you are interested in showing off any particular skill you might have or tool you just purchased.

Jackie is in the process of scheduling food vendors and other services for those of you who will be traveling, however everyone is welcome to bring along your own picnic lunches, chairs, tables and anything else that will make your visit more comfortable and enjoyable. We have four to five acres of lawn available for parking and all of the festivities that go along with such an event. We will also be able to provide electrical hookups for tool testing and lifting equipment if necessary to transfer tools from truck to truck

Aaron and I are putting together laser engraving, dye-sublimation printing and CNC routing demonstrations. Hopefully our own Ken Salisbury will be able to offer his advice and experience once again and do some pen turning for those who interested in advancing their skills. My friend and neighbor owns a WoodMizer Mill and we hope to be able to schedule at least a couple log cutting demonstrations, and he has thousands of board feet of lumber for sale...all of it kiln dryed in his Ebac dehumidification kiln.

Please let us know if you are planning to attend so we can plan the necessary services. This should be an absolutely huge event, you don't want to miss this one.

FreeStuff on Steroids
    We have been contacting the companies who have been supportive of SMC in the past asking them to donate tools and supplies for SwapMeet Drawings. The results of our efforts have been excellent however we have a few more phone calls to make so the list below will be updated as soon as information becomes available. We have also offered each of these companies the opportunity to join us and setup a booth to demonstrate their products.

The following is a list of companies that have already pledged to donate tools or supplies for our drawings;

MicroJig - MicroJig has once again proven to be a great supporter of SawMill Creek by donating four prizes for our SwapMeet doorprize drawings. Henry Wang sent me two MicroJigs and two of their new MJ Handle Bridge Sets to give away at our May 14th SawpMeet. http://www.microjig.com/

General Industrial Supply

Two Wilton Variable Speed Mini Lathes
    Wilton Scroll Saw
    Wilton Router/Router Table Combo
    Carb-Tech 12 piece router bit set
    Carb-Tech 5 piece router bit door set

Forrest Blades - Dave Morgan of 3D Saw Blades Internet Sales has donated a 10" x 40T x 1/8" kerf WoodWorker II sawblade as a drawing prize. The WWII is one of the most popular sawblades on the market and we are certainly pleased to have Dave's organization as a supporter of our event. Visit their web site at http://www.forrestblades.com

eurekazone - Dino Makropoulos has once again donated one of his Smart Guide Systems. Dino and his company have been steadfast as one of our most active supporters and were happy to donate once again for our SwapMeet. Dino will personally attend and demo his system. http://www.eurekazone.com

Northwind Associates - Northwind Associates will donate a custom shop sign that will be designed and made during the SwapMeet. Northwind has also donated a Delphi Roady2 XM Satelite Radio complete with a Home Kit that connects your portable Satelite Radio to any home stereo system.

Curly Woods - Mike Mastin is sending 10 bf of 4/4 curly Yellow Birch to us for an SMC SwapMeet drawing prize. Figured Hardwood Lumber from Curly Woods in Texas, it don't get any better.
    http://www.curlywoods.com/

Bethlehem Olive Wood Imports - Diane has once again offered to donate some of her beautifull olivewood pen blanks as a drawing prize. Thanks again to Diane Darwesh and Bethlehem OliveWood for their generous contribution! http://www.bethlehemolivewood.net

Art Specialties International - Ken Dolph has been kind enough to donate a Corian Nativity Light Kit for our SwapMeet Drawing. The nativity Kit can be seen on their web site listed below.
    http://stonewood.safeshopper.com/12/7.htm?502

Penn State Industries sent us one of their new Pen Press Assemblies to give away at our SwapMeet. The #Penpress2 adjusts instantly and exerts up to 300 pounds of pressure.
    http://www.pennstateind.com/

WoodCraft has sent me the following items for our SwapMeet free prize drawings;
    1 - A $75.00 gift certificate
    2 - The Art of Segmented Wood Turning by Malcolm Tibbetts
    3 - WoodCraft Magazine January 2005
    4 - WoodCraft Magazine March 2005
    5 - WoodCraft Magazine May 2005
    http://www.woodcraft.com/

Berea Hardwoods donated two flat top American solid Sterling Silver ballpoint pen kits. These will make beautiful pens for someone special.
    http://www.bereahardwoods.com

Festool - Bob Marino, a Festool Independant Sales Agent and Member of SMC, has donated a Festool ES 125 sander as a drawing prize for the SwapMeet. Bob has once again shown his support for our woodworking community at SawMill Creek.
    http://festool.safeshopper.com/

Eagle America - Earl Reid contacted Eagle America of Chardon Ohio and they have sent us a $50.00 gift Certificate as their contribution to our SwapMeet FreeStuff Drawings. Ya can't have enough router bits so this is a prize that everyone will be able to use.
    http://www.eagle-america.com/html/index.asp

You must send me an email with your name and address and be present at the SwapMeet to win a prize.

keith@sawmillcreek.org

http:www.sawmillcreek.org/swapmeet
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 04-28-2005 at 8:47 AM. Reason: added to the Eureka Zone info

Great Keith,
    I move from Va and then you decide to have a get together. Just figures.

Greg

Cool

Greg,

Didn't you leave something behind that you need to go back and get.
    I am in Kansas so I won't make it, Just my luck that it would be on the Right coast, or the left coast but never in the middle. HAHAHA
    Randy
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Man, it figures. That's the day my second daughter graduates from college. I don't think she would appreciate my going to a tool swap meet in lieu of her event
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

Lightbulb How's this for an idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stastny
    Man, it figures. That's the day my second daughter graduates from college. I don't think she would appreciate my going to a tool swap meet in lieu of her event
    Tell here that you will be there for her graduation when she gets her Masters and then when she gets her PhD. I think that she should take it fairly well
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Kieth
    I would love to attend. Any chance you could send me airline tickets? LOL
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Greg, you already know how to get from Virginia to Tenn, just reverse the trip.

Randy, just head East!

Jim, don't even think about missing a graduation, your life could be at risk.

David, I could engrave you a set of airline tickets (counterfit) but they might get you a trip to a different location than the Swap Meet.

Yee-haw. Just what I have been looking for.

I will be bringing some goodies to. HTC mobile base for unisaw, 50" unifence, and a couple of trivials.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten

Hopefully our own Ken Salisbury will be able to offer his advice and experience once again and do some pen turning for those who interested in advancing their skills.
    I will defintely attend. As far as helping folks advance their skills (whatever that means) I am not sure if I can other than demonstrating the proper method of consumption of Bud Light

I am looking forward to seeing all of you there.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Wow! Kens instructing the proper way to do 12 oz arm curls . Seriously I'm looking forward to attending and meeting fellow creeker's.

Hey, is that close to So. California?
    Jerry

Jerry,

All you need is a plane ticket, its just a couple of hours in a comfotable seat
    Before you make up your mind wait untill we have a chance to post all the details, maybe some very cool FreeStuff Drawings will entice you to join us

Ken and I have been calling many of the vendors who have provided gifts for our FreeStuff Drawings and the response has been great. Many are willing to donate tools and supplies for our SwapMeet drawings. We will announce the listing of vendors and the gifts they are donating very soon.

I would be glad to provide a listing of tools/supplies/lumber that people will be bringing to the swap meet if enough people respond. Drop me an email with a list of what you have to swap purchase or sell an I will publish a listing for the event. It won't be by name, just a list of items that will be available at the SwapMeet.

Don't forget that you need to register in advance by sending me an email, please include your name and address. I will print your email and it will be used to drop in the drawing tub for the free prizes drawings. You must be present at the SwapMeet to win.

keith@sawmillcreek.org

Keith et al -

Sounds like a great time. I plan to be there.

For those of you that might be coming from a little farther away and want to have a couple more things on the agenda, there is a lot to do in the area. History related: Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, various museums and Naval bases and forts to tour. Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion amusement parks and plenty of outlet mall shopping for those so inclined.

Ted