Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burls are like a box of chocolate.......work in progress!

Looking good Roger! Looks like you have avoided any drying and cracking so far. Good luck with it!

Some guys love digging into a burl and finding those huge caverns. Dr. Keller for one. He likes to be able to see through his pieces. And Allan Trout who likes to fill them up with colored resins. Personally, my heart always sinks a bit when I realize that my pristine burl is not going to be so pristine as I thought. Then I try to make the best of it. Looks like that's where you sit right now...
    David DeCristoforo

3. Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    S Then I try to make the best of it. Looks like that's where you sit right now...
    You are so right, Sir!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

me thinks it will be lovely..I hope to see it finished posthaste

5. Quote Originally Posted by Roland Martin View Post
    That's a really nice burl, Roger. Is that the MONSTER I'm waiting for? No, my mistake, it's Jet white . Seriously though, looking good!

You're gonna love it when you get it, Roland.........Randy was nice enough to do mine in Grizzly green!

I too enjoy the voids in my burls. Perhaps that is because most of the burl I have is loaded with bark inclusions. I nearly tossed out some pieces early on due to voids but then realized how much interest they provide to the final work. I see lots of potential with this piece. A nice side benefit of the holes and voids is that you can very clearly see the cutting tool inside during hollowing. No need for a laser here!

Quote Originally Posted by David Reed View Post
    A nice side benefit of the holes and voids is that you can very clearly see the cutting tool inside during hollowing. No need for a laser here!

Thanks David............

with the high shoulders on this piece, I did need the laser to see where the cutting tip is in that area...........it is hollowed to about 1/4 inch.............I thought better of going thinner on this one due to the voids............when I finally get a chance to finish it and put a finial on it, I think it will be pretty............

That being said, I would have preferred a solid piece of wood, highly figured...............one can dream can't they?

Really nice burl and shape. as to the inclusions and voids--these are called character. charge at least $100 extra for each defect.-----------------old forester

9. I have continued the "work in progress" on this burl in another thread........"Gnarly Sophisticate" for any of you who wanted to see it come to the finish..........which it is still in process in the other thread, see explanation there...........thanks!

Really looking forward to seeing this one Roger. Is this the piece that Mike tried to take from you?
    Tony

"Soldier On"

11. Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Really looking forward to seeing this one Roger. Is this the piece that Mike tried to take from you?
    I am not sure I remember that one Tony...........this piece I kept in the back building..........I think he mentioned one in the shop, if I remember correctly...........

Why do I always get dragged into these things? Not sure I remember trying to take a burl from Roger, Tony. But I wouldn't put it past me...
    I drink, therefore I am.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Why do I always get dragged into these things? Not sure I remember trying to take a burl from Roger, Tony. But I wouldn't put it past me...
    Mike.............my memory is vague, but I think you mentioned that 3.5 inch thick, 14.5 inch wide slab of kiln dried walnut that I have sitting behind the lathe...........I mentioned [if I remember correctly] that I got that to turn some offering plates for our church.............does that ring a bell, or am I confusing a conversation with someone else?

Funny, even without having anything to drink, I don't remember that at all. But again, a 3.5" thick 14.5" wide slab of walnut would CERTAINLY have gotten my attention. Even if I didn't "say" anything about it, the drool I was spilling all over it would have sponken volumes...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Funny, even without having anything to drink, I don't remember that at all. But again, a 3.5" thick 14.5" wide slab of walnut would CERTAINLY have gotten my attention. Even if I didn't "say" anything about it, the drool I was spilling all over it would have sponken volumes...

Mike................... !!!