Thread: Grizzly G0703 1.5 HP Cyclone - anyone have one?

Grizzly G0703 1.5 HP Cyclone - anyone have one?

I am looking at replacing my single state Delta dust collector and like the looks and size of the new Grizzly cyclone. I have garage shop and really don't have room for anything bigger than this. Does anyone have one? It got a good review in the recent Fine Woodworking article on dust.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

Randy, I have to say this... When I see a thread asking about a particular item, and people respond with a "well, I don't have that, but..." I usually roll my eyes. But, I'm about to do it... Not roll my eyes, but give you a "well, I don't have that, but..." response.

I was using a Grizzly G1030 3 hp four bag DC. I moved to a ClearVue 5 hp cyclone. The foot print for the ClearVue was actually smaller than the Grizzly 4 bag. The reason I'm telling you this is that cyclones diminish your CFM. At 1.5 hp, you aren't really pulling that much to begin with. My advice is to look bigger. If you are using a 1-1 1/2 hp DC now, the cyclone is great for making the air cleaner, but you may actually be catching less dust... If there is any way possible, I would consider moving up to at least a 3 hp unit. This, of course, assumes you can both spend the money and can make it fit. Making it fit is probably easier since the footprint reall isn't that much bigger. Money on the other hand can be harder to come by than space sometimes... Just my two cents. I started with a single (double depending on how you look at it) bag DC. Kept upgrading. Now I have as good as I can get for a 24 x 30 shop. Just my personal experience. Hope it helps.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I have a 2hp, wish I had gone 3hp. Shop is 26 x 50, now I'm considering adding on. Size of shop doesn't matter, straight runs of pipe are considered invisible.

Just curious what you mean by invisible, Jim...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Straight runs hardly lose any cfm. It's the 90's and hose that reduce your suction. That's what I meant by invisible.

I don't mean to be arguementative, but even staight runs cause a loss in cfm and static pressure. Granted, 90's and 45's cause far more, but a 5 foot vs a 50 run of straight pipe will result in measurable differences in both cfm and static pressure.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Randy,
    I purchased the G0703 about a year ago to replace a 1.5hp Jet single stage collector. Fairly quiet unit, I use it with a 5" flex hose. Works great. Very little makes into the filter's bag. Good value for the price.
    Marshall