Thread: Braces: Only for 4-16 Auger Bits?

Braces: Only for 4-16 Auger Bits?

I have a few hand braces and a set of Irwin Auger Bits. The braces are all vintage and have two-jaw chucks (some have alligator springs, others are basic and flat, etc.). which are appropriate for squared tapered shanks, but could (I imagine, particularly for the alligator style jaws) handle some other shanks.

My question is: In addition to the typical full set of 4-16 Auger bits, what other bits and attachments would enhance the usefulness of these braces and where would you get them? Also, which ones would NOT work on a hand brace? For instance, would you use a HSS forstner bit with a round shank, intended for drill presses? Would the round shank even be gripped correctly by the brace? How big the diameter before it's just too hard to bore with it? Would you drive screws with it (the LV adapter comes to mind here)? What about counterboring and countersinking? Would you use it with a spindle sander drum kit? (Ok, I am just kidding on that last one! )

Almost anything where slow rotations and high torque make sense. It's easy enough to find countersinks at garage sales, for instance. Some brace chucks will tighten up sufficiently on round shanks; others won't. Best way to know is to try.

Back at the beginning of the 20th century, braces were commonly used darned near everywhere, including in a lot of the mechanical trades (automotive work, for instance).

Countersinks and screwdriver bits are my most-used, non-auger bit accessory. I use a smaller sweep brace when driving screws, otherwise you run the risk of snapping the screw head clean off.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Seconded what Zach said about using a smaller brace for driving screws. Don't ask me how I know.

As some have said, some braces grab on to round shanks better than others - my Yankee brace does a great job. I've used quite a few forstner bits without issue, and often larger twist bits and unibits when working metal. I like them with a socket for driving bolts and stuff too. Hex bits work pretty well if you align them right, although make sure they're actual hex bits - six sided - so you can grab it on opposite corners when in the two jaws. Some "hex" ended bits are just rounded shanks with three flats ground on them - these won't work in a two jaw chuck, there's no way to center the bit.

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of things that were made fit into the chuck of a brace.

Some braces have more accommodating chucks than others.

Most of these items will fit in one or another of my braces:

Picture 1.jpg

Some of the old center bits are made for a different type of chuck. They will not work in some of my braces.

There are many items beyond my meager few that were made to be used with a brace.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Other bits

The only Forstners that work well in a brace are the square drive end ones. For best results you need a smooth rim. Saw tooths are almost impossible to use.

Another bit worth looking at is a spoon bit. They make great holes and don't poke through like the screw tipped ones.
    Lee Valley has a set and TFWW carries Clifton. The Cliftons come in a wider range of sizes. The best were made by Fred Emhoff but they are about $75-$100 on the used market. Good for chairmaking.

Tapered reamers come in handy.

Expansive bits commonly will bore up to 3" with the larger braces. Look for the older Clark style. They work much better on hardwoods than any of the ones made by Irwin.

Tendon makers and pointers can be handy.

Oh, and don't forget to get an extension. They add another 20" or more.

An adapter chuck for smaller round bits is available.

Plug cutters make tapered plugs for countersunk screws.

I'm sure theres more, but thats a good start.

Eric

Thanks a lot, guys. That's the kind of info I was looking for!

That's very interesting! I don't have all what you listed, but I will try to get them as time and money allows.
    I didn't know plug cutters existed for hand braces. I have bought some years ago for drill press, and have never seen any for hand brace.
    I have from 6" to 12", countersink, extension, expansive bit, hollow auger, spoke pointer, screwdriver, jennings, irwin, chain drill.
    I can't get the braces to work with modern Forstner, I'm looking forward to finding old ones that would work with them, and maybe taper reamers too.