Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinnacle 30 watt Laser wont engrave or cut? Help!

Question Pinnacle 30 watt Laser wont engrave or cut? Help!

hello, i have a pinnacle 30 watt m series that was purchased by me from sign warehouse in 2008. it was bought and used for a very, very breif time then kept in heated storage ever since. i had hired a friend to run the laser so i never paid much attention to corel, though i do know a little about the machine and how to operate it. the problem that im having is i make a file in corel, print, then the file shows up on the lasers lcd screen but does nothing, no engrave, nothing. the laser seems to be working fine when auto focused on material, im pretty sure it may be corel? i downloaded the driver for the laser from the sign wh site, it installed fine. i am new at corel so im not sure if i need to turn something on or off . i made the corel file in black and swiched to hair line, ive messed with setting for ever and have searched for days on the internet. I cant figure this out, some one please help!!! i am using corel draw 12
    Last edited by shawn miniaci; 11-17-2011 at 12:15 AM.

In Corel , turn OFF all colour managment and try again. Check that all your safety interlocks on the machine lid and panels are working.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    In addition to Rodney's comments, make sure the layers you're concerned about do not have printing disabled (little red circle and slash over the printer symbol in the layer properties panel).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

This may sound basic, but make sure file size and page size
    in the driver are the same. The graphic make be off the page.
    Typically if that's it the head won't move when you start to engrave.
    If your vectoring make sur line size is correct to vector.

Can you test fire the laser? If so try that to make sure it fires.
    I hate to say it, if it's not firing the tube may be bad. It's not good
    for tubes to sit for extended times without firing.
    Last edited by Martin Boekers; 11-17-2011 at 8:37 AM.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Shawn, do you have the Pinnacle/Mercury color palette loaded? If you are drawing in true 100% black from an other palette, it should still work but the first things you need to do when setting up a GCC laser is turn off color managment as Rodne said and then load the RGB palette with 16 colors (actually I add white fill to the GCC palette to make 17 colors). If you need the RGB palette PM me, but you should have it on your system.

When you do a print preview, does it show the proper (expected) preview image?

I'd say you should make a new file after you have checked color management and loaded the RGB palette. Draw a box using .0001" line width and add some text inside -all 100% black. Match us page size with the laser driver etc and assign values for Black eg speed = 30% P = 100%. Then see what the laser does with it on a scrap of wood.

Another possibility could be bad RAM sticks or dirty contacts. Maybe try reseating the RAM. You should be able to test the RAM from the control panel in diagnostic mode.

You said: " the laser seems to be working fine when auto focused on material"

What exactly do you mean by "working fine"? Do you just mean the auto focus is working? The red beam you see has nothing to do with the co2 laser working.

It seems like the laser is either not getting the full file (RAM problem) or there is something wrong with the file such that it can't plot it.

also make sure the raster or vector setting are correct - that issue cost me 30 minutes of trying to figure out my non-working dilemma
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

hey rodney, how exactly do you go about turning off the color managment ?

i havent been able to get the laser to fire at all, like it gets the file that im sending then the laser goes to the top left corner and thats it, the time starts on the lcd screen and it says 0 dpi? i think i might not have corel set right. im trying to find the color managment but having a rough time.

yes, i guess i mean everything but the laser is workin fine. i think the issue im having is corel . i hope.

Color management is under "Tools". Here it is for X4. Older versions are similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shawn, I'll send you a file called Pinnacle.cpl. You'll have to PM your email address as I forgot that I can't PM an attachment. If you have X4 you need to find this folder:

c:\Program files\CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4\Languages\EN\Custom Data\Palettes

Inside the palettes folder I have an RGB folder and a CMYK folder. Just copy the Pinnacle.cpl file beside the folders.

Then to get it loaded, go to CorelDraw ->window ->color palettes>open palette

then you should see the CMYK folder, RGB folder, and your new Pinnacle.cpl palette. Select it, and it will be loaded on the right side of the screen. You might want to close any other palettes you have open to make more drawing space.

If you have a different version of CorelDraw search for the CMYK folder or RGB folder and you can discover the path.

well i changed the color managment and still getting nothing to happen. does any one know about the light by the lcd screen marked laser? mine comes on when the lid is shut, is this good or bad news, im starting to think the laser is broken or somthing. bought in 08 this thing only has 2-3 hours of actual cutting time on it. how could i tell if the tube is bad?

Hey Shawn,

You do know that you do have lifetime technical support with that machine correct?
    I will send you an email via your yahoo.com email address.
    Kevin W. Huffman II
    Pinnacle Laser

turns out it was the cable that came with the machine. the one that is spiced off to usb. i used an old desk top i had with an old serial cable and works like brand new.

And as pointed out a few posts ago.... IS your Corel Paper Size the same size as your Computer Bed? AND is the Bed Size correct in the Print Driver? Sounds so much like a paper size problem.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".